Getting my first chickens tomorrow!!! Any Advice!

ABHanna4d

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Wichita
Im getting my first set of chickens tomorrow (well I guess technically its today...I cant sleep Im so excitted!)
lol.png
lol.png

I dont even know what questions to ask so if anyone has any advice Id love to hear it!!
Im getting 5 BO about 9 weeks old. A small set up but we are so excitted. We have the chicken coop ready (as far as we know), I dont have any updated pics of the coop... Ill try to get them posted tomorrow b4 the girls get here...
hmm.png

Ummm we have feed ready to go and other than that I have no idea what Im doing!

yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Whoohooo!!! Congratulations on your new chickies. Since they're young you want to keep them on grower feed a while longer . . . they'll need water and TREATS of course
wink.png
and most important lots of love (should be no problem there, eh?). Also, since they'll be new to you, and you want them to like you, get some black oil sunflower seeds to bribe them with. They love love love BOSS (l'il crackheads!) so I use them to get the girls to come to me, or go in the coop, or just to make them run around 'cuz they're funny to watch!
woot.gif
Be sure to take some pictures - they grow up so fast!!

Congradulations! Welcome to the wide wide world of chickens. I'm pretty new at this myself but the best advice I can give you is to learn as much as you can about your new wards. Their needs, behaviors and being able to identify when something is wrong even if u don't know exactly what it is. Your are at the right place. Information galore and most people are always willing to help you figure things out. GOOD LUCK
frow.gif

Beware of the obsession!!!!! LOL
tongue.png

I said I would only want 4 chickens........I have 20 birds, 10 in the bator, working on a new coop...........
D.gif

I use the frozen mixed veggies as treats. Just defrost them and hand feed. You'll figure out everyone's favorite veggie in no time, it's good for them and fun to make them jump up to take it from your hands.
Toast loves green beans, Christian will only eat the corn, Pounce and Q-tip like carrots, Spice likes anything she can grab.......
Get a couple of good books (if you haven't already). The Raising Chickens for Dummies that you can get through here is great!
Most of all - Enjoy them!

Most people on BYC like "treats".
D.gif
Just make sure they have access to grit or sand before you start with the treats or they will have an impacted crop. I throw in garden remnants and certain weeds to my birds too, it makes for tastier eggs. The sand floors of their runs give them all the grit that they need (as well as being so much easier to clean).

Hmm at 9 weeks the hard stuff os over.......just add food and water and Viola ............. there are a few other things ....housing medications etc. but you have come to the right place all that is covered here by this 35,000 strong support group. Good Luck.

CONGRATS!!!-Fairly new here too-I was just starting with 6 myself and ended up with 19-hard to resist-you might be putting an addition on your coop soon!!!!You'll get lots of help and advice here!!!!TREETS-TREETS-TREETS-AND LOTS OF LOVE!!!!!

Pull up a lounge chair..... and watch and learn!

But, really, you will not JUST be amused by them, you will know when something is not "right". By doing this you will catch any problems that might pop up early! You will learn chicken psychology, chicken language, and chicken health.

We will be here for all your questions and answers! (By using the "Search" option at the top of your screen, you can save alot of time)

Enjoy those chickens!!!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom