Getting my Meat Birds!!!! Pic of brooder on page 2!

My coop is 10X18 feet, so how many sq. feet is that? Plus there run is 3x bigger.
Here is a really bad pic of the brooder. they set us 6 extra, so that is 76 chicks!!
Plus my 16 layers!!!! I think i might be makeing a lean too.
20382_airwu_002.jpg

They will stay here for about 2-3 weeks. This will be interesting.

Chicken Girl

180 square for the coop and 3x that for the run? I'll tell you one thing, or two, those birds will get big and 76 will really fill it. My meats did not go into the run, well the pullets did, but the roos were big and would rather eat-poop-eat! I kept the feeder at chest level adjusting as they went to make sure the legs did not atrophy. At 12 weeks they could still run away when you went in to catch them, lol! I gave my CX's all the same love the layers get to give them a swell albiet short life. I say give them food 24/7, change the water daily. Add ice to the water when it's blazing hot. Set up a fan if needed on really hot midwestern days, and they'll provide you with a bountiful resource. Yeah, they are poop machines. I cleaned out all the straw/poop weekly. I shred it in the fall and put it on my gardens. Thye BR's hardly make any poop so now that the CX's are gone it's another world in the coop. BTW that's a sweet brooder! I use a stock tank with a screen cover. I hang the heat lamp over it. Since I do my CX's in the spring (Easter) they stay inside for the first 3 weeks then into the coop still with a heat lamp until they feather out.

Quote:
Yea its going to be a tight fit, but i could always put all the roos out side, in a lean too. And thanks!!! I am really happy with the brooder space. And its going to be in the 90s the next couple days, so i might not even use the lamp. And the last time i did meat birds, i took the food away at 5days. and only had 2 die out of 25. so i think i will stay with that way of feeding. And yes they are pooping monsters!! lol But the chicken meat tastes so good!!!!!!!! lol

Chicken Girl

Back
Top Bottom