Getting new chick soon, have a Silkie hen - have ques. & need help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sookiesmom, Jun 1, 2010.

1. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I just had to do the hardest thing I've ever had to in my entire life. I had to put my silkie x EE, Sookie, to sleep on Sunday. I'm completely heartbroken, but she was suffering. Anyway, we always wanted to have 2 hens to keep eachother company. Well now that the one is gone, I need help with the best way to introduce a chick. First off, the silkie, Pippie, is currently broody for the second time in 2 months. I've heard that sometimes you can introduce a chick to a broody hen in the middle of the night. I don't know what breed I'm getting yet. Have to see what the Agway has. Don't want anything that get's too big, but not sure if I want another bantam. So if anybody can help me I'd be so appreciative. Anything you can suggest: what breed to get, how to introduce the chick, what I should expect. And, just for more info., the silkie isn't even a year old. Probably will turn 1 around late August.

Again, thank you in advance for anything you can let me know or suggest. I'm new to this & just got my first chicks last summer. I also want to make sure they get all their vaccinations they can get. Since my vet, and alot of other people, don't know what my dear Sookie got so sick from, I want to protect this one best I can, just in case. [​IMG]

2. sookiesmom

sookiesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Ocean County, NJ
    I just want to bump this post. I hope someone can help me. I just lost my best friend [​IMG] and I need help with getting another baby chick. Please, doesn't anyone have any advice or anything???

3. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    Find out where and when the next show is and tell people you want new born chicks and if there going to the show. Maybe someone can bring you chicks. This is a good place to start. Calling all silkies going to NJ.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by