1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Getting new chickens, but what kind

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bantymama, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Bantymama

Bantymama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    MN
    I have allways had banties and now i want chickens that are colorfull and lay big brown eggs. I was thinking about getting RIRs and Cuckoo Marans. Are they good layers and setters. The choices seem to be endless. Any suggestions.

2. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

Quote:They are all good layers cuckoo maran roos get agressive tward the hens though...

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Unless you get exhibition lines of RIR they will not set--the production strains have had that instinct bred out of them. Personally I do NOT like the breed: mean birds.

Brahmas will give you huge brown eggs and are friendly and personable. They will set.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    The people I know who have marans ADORE the breed and have commented on how friendly and gentle the roos are.

5. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

Everyone has their favs--but I personally like my Buff Orpingtons the best of all my chickens. My Roo is sweet and the Hens lay pretty brown eggs. Also Ameraucana's lay beautiful eggs and they are friendly. I don't like the RIR either--I think many other varieties would be a better choice. [​IMG]

6. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    I grew up with RIR, theyre the most inhospitable unfriendly birds around. yuck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by