Getting new chicks safe.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Deer lane farm, May 4, 2016.

1. Deer lane farm

Deer lane farm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    I'm not sure what to do. I hatched 11 chicks and two broody hens have taken them in as their own. I have 8 full grown hens. I let all my chickens free range. The moms bring the chicks out everyday and show them how to scratch and find food and so on. I lost one chick to a hawk so now I think I better keep them locked up. The problem is if I keep the babies locked up I have to keep the whole flock locked up. I have a pen but its not that big. 8x6 outside completely fenced with 8 x10 inside.
    Should I separate the moms from the chicks and keep the chicks locked up. I feel the moms will be very upset if I do that.
    Any ideas? The obvious answer is to lock everyone up. But they love to free range and the full grown hens have never been bothered by the hawk for a few years now.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I would make a smaller fenced area inside your run or yard to keep mom and chicks in. You can move it around. How old are the chicks? After a few weeks they should be able to keep up with mom enough to avoid hawks.

3. Deer lane farm

Aug 26, 2014
    They are 3 1/2 weeks old. The problem is I have to work all day. So if I separate them they don't have access to get in and out of the coop until I get home. And if I close them in the pen , then the other girls can't get in and out. I'm thinking about making another entrance and splitting the coop down the middle. I can do this but then I need roosting bars and nesting boxes on both sides. But this may be a bit excessive. I could split the coop inside and keeps chicks and mom in but they have already known the great outdoors.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Put a few safety zones in there....an overturned hollow log, even a box with a hole in the side....someplace they will quickly learn to hide in when danger threatens. Their instinct is to hide from threats, so that might work...

5. Deer lane farm

Aug 26, 2014
    I have about 4 caves I call them made out of cut down tree limbs. They hang out in there all the time. But I lost another baby today. I'm not letting anyone out of the covered run except when I'm home, until they are bigger or I come up with a better plan. I believe it has to be the hawk because I have seen him before around a few times. I hate locking them up but I can't keep losing my babies one by one. Hopefully one of the babies turns out to be a very protective but kind Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by