1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Getting new pullets to roost.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by frogman, Jun 29, 2016.

1. frogman

frogman Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2015
    Hi folks - I added 3 chicks (4 weeks old) to my 2 hens. At first I let them stay in the nesting box because the hens picked on them mercilessly. Now they are 8 weeks old and still in the nest boxes at night. Getting along a little better now - but still get pecked - they are still skidish around the hens.. My question is how do I get them out of the boxes and onto the roosts at night??

I do have a space between the nesting boxes and the roost ( about 2x2 ft) - should I block the boxes more to deter them and at least have them in the open space??

Last edited: Jun 29, 2016
  2. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    When hatched and raised by mama, chicks will usually take to the roost pole by 4 weeks of age. You didn't say what kind of chickens that you have but you may have some success by going out after full darkness and moving the chicks to a roost pole. Do be advised that chickens pick on each other relentless when bed time rolls around and they all jockey for one or two prime locations .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by