Getting older ducks?

mom2jedi

Songster
11 Years
Aug 12, 2008
San Diego, CA
Apparently, all DH's coworkers know I'm the "animal lady". Just starting the venture of deciding if a couple ducks will be a benefit to our mini-farm that's in its infancy right now. Been researching here and just collecting information up till now. DH called me about an hour ago and asked, "Are you really wanting ducks?" My response assuming he was just asking was, "If we decide they are good for our farming then sure, if not then no. It's not like when I knew I wanted chickens and was actively pursuing it." Then he said one of his coworkers is done with her ducks and she wanted to know if we'd like them.
th.gif

Apparently there are 2 Pekins and 1 Rouen, 1 drake and 2 hens (don't know which is which). They are a couple years old. I told him some follow up questions to ask - such as why she was "done" with them, how loud they were, has she had them since they were ducklings, etc. and explained the reason I was only considering Cayugas was because they are quiet. That's a big concern for him, he doesn't want our neighbors getting upset with any loud critters, hence no rooster even though we are zoned for them.

Here's what I'm wondering about. If they are imprinted on her, will they transition to a new home okay? How loud are Pekins and Rouens compared to Cayugas? Are they louder than chickens? (We're used to the egg song cackle but aren't ducks noisier on a more regular basis?)

Thanks all!
Shauna

Overall, although some breeds may be calmer by nature, it's really all about the individual duck. I have two Pekins in my flock, and they really are not all that noisy. None of my ducks are. The girls have a louder quack than the boys, but overall we only ever hear them when they're really excited, hungry, or just saying hello. T he rest of the time they go about their business and forage and play and don't bother a soul. We've never had a complaint from our neighbors. That's not to say it isn't possible to get a duck that just feels the need to be talkative all the time.
tongue.png

I think the only breed of duck you can ensure will be quiet all the time, are the quackless breeds. Muscovies for example, making hissing noises, rather than the usual duck noise.

But like I said, I don't think ducks, especially a small number of them, are all that loud anyway.

I am not sure about the imprint. I adopted three Rouen ducks last year and after a week or so of transition they are integrated into the flock quite nicely.

My girls are loud- at feeding time they are louder than the chickens. The drakes on the other hand are quite quiet. As I don't have Cayugas I can't tell you about them.

I can tell you that I am loving my ducks and I was the one that wasn't sure about them. I don't enjoy the duckling mess but LOVE the cuteness factor. And the adults are great about giving me eggs my WH are out egging everyone on the place- chickens included.

Ok, so just got a bit more info. They are about two years old. She's had them since ducklings. They aren't super friendly but aren't mean either. She said if if doesn't work out she would take them back and to take a few days to think about it (they will hang on to them till June). The reason they are looking to rehome them is she and her hubby are separating and they are trying to get their animals taken care of before it's an issue. (DH had no idea and was a bit taken aback when she mentioned it - poor guy!)

New question, will they get used to us and get a little tamer after time?

They may. When I first got my Saxony hen at a year and a half old, she was REALLY skittish around us at first. She would run like crazy every time we went near. I gave her her distance, and gave her lots of peas (her now favorite treat) and within a month she was eating them from my hand. She still doesn't like to be touched, or picked up, but she clearly warmed up to us and comes to greet me when I go outside.

So with proper patience and peas, you could very well get them to warm up.

Back
Top Bottom