We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Getting out of having backyard chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by habz, Jul 20, 2019.

1. habz

habz Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Once again I had a coyote kill off all but 1 chicken while I was away on business. One of my hens was broody and sitting in the nest box all day, so she was passed over. So now I have 2 choices:
    Raise more chicks or find a new home for my 1 chicken. I know they are social so she won't do well alone. I have a friend who has some chickens. Any reason she would not do OK to get added to his flock? I know it's tough to introduce just one as she'll be challenged by every other bird. Thoughts?

Sequel, N F C and sourland like this.
  2. LeoPig

LeoPig Chirping

Feb 2, 2019
    Sorry for your loss. With lots of patients, I bet she'll do fine in a new flock.

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Sorry for the situation that you are dealing with. You could give her to your friend, or you could get some day old chicks and foster them to her.

4. N F C

N F C Champion

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Sorry for your loss. That's a purely personal decision to make...whether to get chicks or give up your hen. A couple of things to think about, do you travel a lot and that makes it hard to spend time strengthening the coop/run? And do you have someone dependable to keep an eye on things while you're gone?

Again, sorry for the loss, that always stinks.

P.S. Welcome to BYC!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If he knows how to add one bird, she should be fine.

6. Sequel

Sequel Crowing

:hugs I'm so sorry for your loss! I hope your friend will be able to adopt your hen successfully if that's what you decide to do! Best wishes to you whatever you decide to do!

N F C and trumpeting_angel like this.
  7. trumpeting_angel

trumpeting_angel Crowing

Feb 6, 2019
    Vermont
    How painful! Of you decide to keep her, there are tons of resources here for predator-proofing your coop, but if you decide not to, there are multiple threads about integrating a new chicken into an existing flock.

Welcome to BYC! So sorry for your loss.

N F C and Sequel like this.
  8. habz

habz Hatching

Jul 20, 2019
    Thank you everyone. Good feedback. That is what I needed to know.

trumpeting_angel and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: