Getting out of the silkie stuff...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Tanichca, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Well, my family is going to be taking a beating money-wise this year, so I am stopping my silkie project and getting some layers (eggs for us to eat, and maybe to sell as well.) I'm keeping Chip and Jumbo for showmanship, and my little brother's dutch, but everything else is going so that I can just get some good layers. [​IMG] Ah well, maybe next year I can try again.

2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Aw, I'm sorry, Tani! I know how much you love those birds. [​IMG] I wish I were in your area. I'd long-term babysit them for you. Did that with a friend's sheep and dog once.
    Anyway, I reccomend RIRs or BOs for good production.

Stupid economy. I feel your pain.

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's been a bad year, and I have certainly felt it, but just can't bring myself to get rid of my guys. I do love the Orps in any color. My favorite is the Lemon Cuckoo Orps.

4. gambler

gambler In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    Quote:The RIR's are very costly to keep. I have 12 of them and they eat $50 worth of food a month. I think Tani would be better off with a few leghorns unless the chickens were for meat also.

5. chubbydog811

chubbydog811 Songster

Dec 24, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Sorry to hear! I've been cutting back on my flock too. I've already sold 20 birds, I still have to pick at least 5-10 more before I am back to a good number. The last few are always the hardest.
    I would recommend Leghorns though - they are they best layers, and eat less than most layers. A little more flightly, but definitely more cost efficient than most!

6. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    I have one white leghorn, and two Australorps. I am considering getting BO and maybe Wyandotte? If the feed store has any brown leghorns, I would reallly like some of those. Mahogany leghorns [​IMG] are just too rare [​IMG]

7. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    Quote:The RIR's are very costly to keep. I have 12 of them and they eat $50 worth of food a month. I think Tani would be better off with a few leghorns unless the chickens were for meat also.

Wow!![​IMG] How much is a bag of feed for you? I buy my layer mash at the local grain elevator. I've got 24 chickens (one roo and four are young -- not laying yet) and I pay $10.95 for 50lbs of layer mash right now. It has gone up quite a bit. It used to be $7.95/bag. I go through three and a half bags a month for 24 chickens. Mine do free range in the evening, though. Mine are a variety -- EEs, BOs, BAs, RIRs, NHRs, BRs, SLWs, Isa Browns, and a couple Dixie Rainbow meatie hens that I'd held back and had for three years.

Tani -- So sorry! I hope life gets better. [​IMG]

8. gambler

gambler In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2010
    western Pa
    A bag of feed is $14 and change. My birds eat almost a bag a week.

9. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

How many birds do you have, and are they free-range?

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Crowing

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    50lbs Flock Raiser and Start and Grow is $13.49-14.49 here. The layer is a little cheaper, but the chicks can't eat it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by