Getting peachicks

nfrost

Chirping
8 Years
May 1, 2011
they will be 12 weeks old, how long should i keep them in the coop before they can free range or can they free range at all this summer, how do peafowl fare in the winter? and can anyone post pics of male and female peafowl at 12 weeks so i know to get 1 male and 2 female? anything else special i should know is greatly appreciated!!

I wish I could help you, but I'm new to this as well. Mine are about 12 weeks old. If you look at my "One of my boys" post you can see one of my males. The community helped me by posting pics of all four of mine and the consensus was that I have all males. Would love to see yours. Mine are outside in the pen now with my baby chickens. I'm thinking of trying them free range at about 6 months. I want them big enough to intimidate the cats and hopefully not interest the chicken hawks. I'm really nervous, but sooner or later I think they should have the chance. Wish you all the best with your young-uns.
fl.gif

How well they do in the winter depends on what kind you have and where you are... Java and high percent Spaldings aren't very cold hardy, the regular India Blue and it's color mutations do well. It helps to give them someplace to get out of the weather (rain, wind, snow).

As far as free range goes, I couldn't tell you. I keep mine locked up or the neighbors dog would have them for a snack.

Back
Top Bottom