Getting Peacocks, Looking To Buy!?

Beastonnn

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
Hey! So my family and I currently have 11 chickens ( 6 leghorn, 5 Rhode Island Reds ) and are looking to order 12 Easter Eggers, 5 Black Jersey Giants, and 1 more Rhode Island Red. Now, we are also instrested in getting 2 Peacocks, not peafowl, so they will both be males. We have talked to many people and heard they can live wih Chickens and eat chicken feed and will basically live like the chickens. Will we need to do anything different? We are also looking for unique breeds, to get two different breeds. So anyone else willing to sell chicks soon would be great! They would also be needed to be shipped to us. Thanks in advance! :)

My enclosure is made of 4x4 treated posts and framed with treated 2x4s. I used to use chicken wire, but I found it rusts really fast. I now use green coated welded wire (buried into the ground to keep out predators). I use a flight netting on top. I don't recall where i bought it. It just needs to be heavy duty to keep the snow from collecting on it and pulling it down. I did get it online, I think Cutlers Supply?

The shelters are buildings I built using 1/2" treated plywood. They are 8' tall sloping to 6.5' tall.

The outside enclosures are 7' tall on the sides with a 12' tall pvc post in the center of the pen pulling the netting up. The birds have a 7' tall roost connecting to the center pvc pole. This is where they roost every night.

I feed my birds a game bird flight developer, which has higher protein than chicken feed. I also supplement lots of vegetables and fruit and for treats, they love bread and popcorn. During the summer,the enclosures also have grass growing. If you feed a lot of veggies over the winter, it helps to keep them from destroying your grass while it is dormant. Chicken feed will work, you will just need to supplement more to add more protein.

If your enclosure is large enough, two males should be okay, I keep two males with 3 hens in my pens with little to no problems, but it depends on the bird. Some can put up with other males, others cannot. I do not have experience with just a male pen. I don't know how they would act with no peahens.
How long is your run where the roost set at 7 foot high It will require about 20 feet of run for a peacock with a train to fly down adequately with out smashing into a wall, i am going by what i have observed from my peacocks flying down from the trees the higher up they are the farther out they fly coming down.

And WHERE would we be shipping to?
You would be shipping to Wisconsin. I know many people who hear them here so don't worry about the cold.
1f44c.png

Last edited:
You would be shipping to Wisconsin. I know many people who hear them here so don't worry about the cold.
1f44c.png

Not sure what you are saying? Do you know many people who have them, if so can't they sell you some chicks?

The members here who seem to be in WI are @MeepBeep and @nevsma ; you might contact them directly.
Also, peas often pop up on local craigslists...

Many peapeople keep chickens as well and will likely be able to help you on that topic.
The question of peas + chickens often arises, you could also do a search about to find some answers.

Last edited:
1f44c.png

Worrying about the cold is relevant... Do you have the housing issues worked out yet?

Peas are fairly hardy, but frost-bitten toes are forever
hit.gif

Not sure what you are saying? Do you know many people who have them, if so can't they sell you some chicks?

The members here who seem to be in WI are @MeepBeep
and @nevsma
; you might contact them directly.
Also, peas often pop up on local craigslists...

Many peapeople keep chickens as well and will likely be able to help you on that topic.
The question of peas + chickens often arises, you could also do a search about to find some answers.
The people I know either don't breed or no longer have their peas.

Worrying about the cold is relevant...  Do you have the housing issues worked out yet?

Peas are fairly hardy, but frost-bitten toes are forever  :hit
yes we do. They would be in the chicken coop along withy he chickens which is very spacious and we have 3 heat lamps along with a heater in the ceiling and fan as well.

yes we do. They would be in the chicken coop along withy he chickens which is very spacious and we have 3 heat lamps along with a heater in the ceiling and fan as well.

Just to be sure, you know that peas need at least 100 square feet per bird?

I'm sure you won't have trouble finding birds. I wonder if you have looked at the UPA breeder directory?
http://www.unitedpeafowlassociation.org/USbreeders1.html
It might give you some pointers on who to contact that isn't too far from you.

What does "very spacious" mean? And do you plan to free range your birds in the daytime, or do you have a large pen either built or planned?

Peas require quite a bit more space than chickens... very unhealthy for them to be in too small a space.

Back
Top Bottom