Getting quails to eat fruits and veggies + lonely quail

I regularly offer green cabbage, lettuce (that has seen better days) & papaya (that grows voluntarily on my property so it's totally free) as treats for my flock. Between the 37 birds, they can put a whole medium sized papaya away in 2 days flat! Toss a bit of lettuce into the mix and they're in heaven :D
I'll try giving my quails some :lol:

I heard that iceberg lettuce and grapes are bad, so watch out for those! They say that grapes taste spicy to quail :eek:. This thread has lots of suggestions on treats for them. Mine love cantaloupe but that is one of the few things they will eat other than boiled eggs and things that are growing :barnie. Good luck!

Fruits and vegetables reduce the overall protein intake of your birds, making them "bad", but that doesn't mean that the occasional empty calorie is going to cause irreparable harm. No more than 10% of their diet should be treats, and then sparingly offered, that is to say, don't make a daily habit of it as some birds will simply wait for the goodies and turn their beak up at the nutritious, balanced feed. Iceberg lettuce is not much more than water and fiber; about zero nutrition. I try to equate that to humans chewing on popcorn; nothing nutritious about it, but it sure is satisfying :lau When I 'anger' my flock, such as when I do a deep cleaning of their living quarters, my birds have been known to quit laying all together, UNTIL they get a lettuce treat! They sure have me trained! I think that at some level, the treat signals to my quail that all is well, and will remain that way. Their fears are eased, and they start laying again.

Hello!! I'm new to this community! All of the people here are extremely nice and helpful and Im very happy to be here! I have a few questions about my quails though. Firstly, I have 3 quails that are about 2 years that only eat their seeds and grains. I tried to give them fresh fruit and veggies like cucumbers and bananas but they won't touch it. They are pretty healthy but I'm worried because quails need at-least some veggies. Is there anything I can do? I also have another problem. I have a DIY aviary and used to have all my quails there (2 female one male.) They got along but the male started pecking at 1 female, I know this is normal but the male quail was being very aggressive to this 1 quail and pecked her head to the point where there was quite a bit of blood. The quail got pretty weak and her feathers were starting to fall too so I put a rabbit hutch in the aviary and placed her in there. She's been there for a few months now and all her feathers have come back and she's looking pretty healthy. I have a sandbox in there with some hay to let her play with but I'm worried that she's lonely. Getting another quail is not an option for me, sadly, so is there anything I can do to make her feel happier?

You need to add some calcium to them to feed the feathers

The only vegetables I can get my quail to eat are alfalfa sprouts. I usually buy them, but I just bought a sprouting kit. My daughter picks wood sorrel flowers for her pet quail and she eats them right up. So you may have resources in your own backyard.

I heard that iceberg lettuce and grapes are bad, so watch out for those! They say that grapes taste spicy to quail :eek:. This thread has lots of suggestions on treats for them. Mine love cantaloupe but that is one of the few things they will eat other than boiled eggs and things that are growing :barnie. Good luck!
Thank you! I will look out for those.

The only vegetables I can get my quail to eat are alfalfa sprouts. I usually buy them, but I just bought a sprouting kit. My daughter picks wood sorrel flowers for her pet quail and she eats them right up. So you may have resources in your own backyard.
I grow alfalfa sprouts! Thank you for letting me know, I'll definitely feed some to the quails!

Thank you so much! I give them a mix of grains and seeds with gamebird feed. I will definitely try lot's of different vegetables and try mixing it with their favourite foods. I will also try giving them some boiled eggs. I have tried to introduce my lonely quail to the others but the male quail was super aggressive again and made her head bleed. I have tried putting the other female with the my lonely one and they got along well. But the problem was that the male mated with the other female and is very attached to her. Every-time he can't see her he crows at the top of his lungs. When she's gone to eat some food and he's playing in the sand tub he will run to her just so he can see where she is, so he is very attached to her. I live in a suburban area too so even if I can deal with the constant crowing my neighbours can't.
Thanks for the help though I really appreciate it!!! 😄
Hello!! I'm new to this community! All of the people here are extremely nice and helpful and Im very happy to be here! I have a few questions about my quails though. Firstly, I have 3 quails that are about 2 years that only eat their seeds and grains. I tried to give them fresh fruit and veggies like cucumbers and bananas but they won't touch it. They are pretty healthy but I'm worried because quails need at-least some veggies. Is there anything I can do? I also have another problem. I have a DIY aviary and used to have all my quails there (2 female one male.) They got along but the male started pecking at 1 female, I know this is normal but the male quail was being very aggressive to this 1 quail and pecked her head to the point where there was quite a bit of blood. The quail got pretty weak and her feathers were starting to fall too so I put a rabbit hutch in the aviary and placed her in there. She's been there for a few months now and all her feathers have come back and she's looking pretty healthy. I have a sandbox in there with some hay to let her play with but I'm worried that she's lonely. Getting another quail is not an option for me, sadly, so is there anything I can do to make her feel happier?
i feel you so much. I too started with 3 ( the 2 terned out males. It was a nightmare! Sleepless nights of crowing 🤣). I keep 7 now at my balcony in a big big cage. how big is your coop? When they fight i keep them apart with a simple plastic grid so they can be together but safe. Any chance getting une more to keep company to the lonely one? I treet them with basil leaves every time I pass by. so they will be happy to see me 😊.

Back
Top Bottom