Getting ready for my new baby chicks!

We are ordering new chicks as well. I opted not to vaccinate them because we have a flock of birds that were born here over the years and they never got vaccinated. Our flock never gets exposed to other birds. But thats my choice and it may not be right for you.I add apple cider vinegar with the mother to the water. ACV makes them healthy and stronger. If you can afford it get an electric fence for protection. I just replaced our old one because we had a weasel come in and wipe out 11 of our 20 chicks last week. My tester was broken so I trusted the red flashing light to say all was well. Tractor supply has a 2 mile plug in electric fence for $26 and the good digital tester is $40. If you get it make sure the fence has good grounding so whatever hits the fence gets a good ZAP:duc

I always have some quick chick mixed up and when i take the ciHicks out of the shipping box and move them into the brooder one By one and i dip there beek in the quick chick and make sure they get a drink.
Have your set up ready and make sure of the temperature with thermometer before they arrive.
After 2 weeks these guys will need more room,be getting kind of stinky or be ready to go to an outside situation. What are your plans for that?
Congratulations on your chicks!
:jumpy

I got mine from Meyer. They did a great job. Request Mareks vaccine. It is worth the cost to prevent. Make sure brooder is set up 24 hours prior for accurate temp. 90-95 degrees first week. Have food and water ready. Keep food and water not under direct heat source but not too far away. Keep heat source on one side of box so can warm themselves and then cool themselves as needed. Put a 1 inch wide perch in the brooder 5 inches high they will love that and it will teach them to roost. Make sure room for all. Keep food and water available 24/7. I used sav a chick electrolytes daily for first 5 days then once a week till grown. Otherwise fresh water. Can also use sav a chick electrolytes when Ill or stressed. Make sure they do not have pasty butt first few days in first week and poop clearing vents. If sticking to bottom wash with warm water and paper towel till clean and place Vaseline on bottom around vent till poop clears vent on own. Put marbles in water or clean stones to prevent drowning or falling in and getting too wet. Start on 20% medicated starter feed or starter grower feed for best weight gain. Can wean brooder temp by 5 degrees weekly till at 65-70 degrees then ready to go out. This should be by 4-5 weeks when feathered out. Will be too cold if prior to feathering out. The new feathers will provide the warmth they need. Don’t need chick grit till 3-4 weeks of age. No treats till then as well. At 3-4 weeks can offer greens like cabbage and dried mealworms as treats if like. Keep treats 10% or less of diet so has enough protein to grow. At 8 weeks can switch to poultry grit and 18 % starter grower or a grower feed non-medicated. At 17- 18 weeks can switch to 16% layer feed. Start oyster shell at 15 weeks. That’s pretty much it. Once in coop roosting bars should not be above 30 inches and should be at least two inches wide. Enjoy your new chicks!:jumpy:jumpy
wow!! Thanks for the great info!!

Attachments

• 89A0E141-274D-4DB1-AF37-1977AB7F2536.png
    89A0E141-274D-4DB1-AF37-1977AB7F2536.png
    1,004 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom