Getting ready for winter...any tips??

chicks4kids

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Northern Indiana
So this will be my first winter with my pair of IB peafowl. They are about a year and a half roughly, based on estimates here
smile.png
Here is a layout of their area.

peapen.jpg

I'm just wondering if anyone can give any tips or helpful hints for Indiana winters with the peafowl. Their coop is NOT insulated, but I can close it up so that there are no drafts. Suggestions like good foods to give in the winter, anything. Any odd behaviors that they may exhibit in the winter?? I'm guessing that they'll pretty much just stay in the coop for the most part (like the chickens) but any suggestions are welcome.

You don't show your pens in relationship to direction and prevailing winds. Do you get strong north or east/west winds during cold winter storms? I try to at least a wall, insulation included in the wall, or some protection up to keep out of strong winds or blowing snow. During really cold spells, have a heat lamp and keep them dry and water thawed out.
Some feed more corn in winter for fat reserves. I also feed some alfalfa, throughout the year, since I have it for the horses.

We get a north wind and one of the pop doors are on the north side, which can be closed. I don't have any windows on the north end and have sealed up any cracks and crevices around the entire coop with foam.

I like the idea of changing over their roosts from 2x4 to 2x6's. I think that would work better for their toes. My grandfather had peafowl when I was little and they lived in the barn throughout our Indiana winters, I just want to make sure these guys can stay warm enough since they do stay in their pens and are NOT allowed to free range.

I'll keep extra corn mixed in with their feed. How about some BOSS with that?? Do you guys provide any vitamins occassionally with their water in the wintertime? Or do they weather over pretty well?

Back
Top Bottom