1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

getting ready for winter, do cobwebs equal too much humidity? can't re

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimboolah, Nov 5, 2009.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't remember if I dreamed it, or if I read it somewhere here, but I was checking out the coop today for my birdies and noticed all the cob webs on the roof beams--they were there before it was a coop--my husband stored motors in this part of the shed and reluctantly gave it to me for the chooks. So, do the presence of cobwebs mean anything other than I need to sweep in there?

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    A cobweb is an old spider web, which dust and dirt get caught up in. A good sweeping should do the trick and possibly a check for an active spider population!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not as far as I know...?

Pat

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I had worries about humidity in the coop too. I found a small plastic thermometer at Wal mart that also shows the humidity. It has a suction cup so it sticks right to the window. It runs on one watch battery and I haven't had any problems with it and it's about 18 months old. I think the price was under 4 bucks.

This way at a glance I can see if I need to turn on the heater or open a vent if there is too much humidity in the coop. That reminds me....I have to go pick one up for the basement.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by