getting ready for winter, do cobwebs equal too much humidity? can't re

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by kimboolah, Nov 5, 2009.

1. kimboolah

kimboolah Chillin' With My Peeps

I can't remember if I dreamed it, or if I read it somewhere here, but I was checking out the coop today for my birdies and noticed all the cob webs on the roof beams--they were there before it was a coop--my husband stored motors in this part of the shed and reluctantly gave it to me for the chooks. So, do the presence of cobwebs mean anything other than I need to sweep in there?

2. thespinningcottage

thespinningcottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2009
    Arcadia, Florida
    A cobweb is an old spider web, which dust and dirt get caught up in. A good sweeping should do the trick and possibly a check for an active spider population!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Not as far as I know...?

Pat

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I had worries about humidity in the coop too. I found a small plastic thermometer at Wal mart that also shows the humidity. It has a suction cup so it sticks right to the window. It runs on one watch battery and I haven't had any problems with it and it's about 18 months old. I think the price was under 4 bucks.

This way at a glance I can see if I need to turn on the heater or open a vent if there is too much humidity in the coop. That reminds me....I have to go pick one up for the basement.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by