getting ready to build our chicken run but had a few questions about how to make it safe.

caitlyn p

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2016
Im a first time chicken mom and im planning to start building this run pretty soon. My mom says a roof is unnecessary but we have hawks and i disagree but since im a chicken amature maybe im being overly cautious? I was just thinking of buling a basic frame and using chicken wire or hardware cloth as the walls and roof and adding a door. Were buliding right next to concrete so im hoping this will help keep out digging predators. Any suggestions? Does this sound safe for my babies? Also how big should it be if i have 3 chickens?

You are right. Hawks like eating chickens. Hardware cloth is stronger than chicken wire...more expensive, but worth it for predator protection. Chicken wire is mainly for keeping chickens IN, not predators OUT. In areas that might not be protected by concrete, you can make an apron of hardware cloth weighed down by rocks, roughly 18" seems to be adequate for most. The rule of thumb for run size is 10 sqft per chicken (so you would need 30) but they always appreciate more space!

Im a first time chicken mom and im planning to start building this run pretty soon. My mom says a roof is unnecessary but we have hawks and i disagree but since im a chicken amature maybe im being overly cautious? I was just thinking of buling a basic frame and using chicken wire or hardware cloth as the walls and roof and adding a door. Were buliding right next to concrete so im hoping this will help keep out digging predators. Any suggestions? Does this sound safe for my babies? Also how big should it be if i have 3 chickens?

Chicken wire is for containing chickens not predator protection...

A 'safe' run consist of 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth, buried in the ground up the sides and fulling enclosing the entire area with no hole bigger then say 1/2" anywhere...

Now is that always necessary, no it's not... But with each compromise you make it less secure...

A roof is not only to stop birds of prey, other predators like coyotes, foxes, bobcats or what not can clear jump most fences under 8' tall, other critters like raccoons or opossums can easily climb a fence of any height, this is is why a roof is necessary if the goal is protection...

Plus just because you don't see birds of prey, doesn't mean they won't appear in your area the minute they discover a free chicken buffet...

Bigger fence openings even as small as 1" allow small predators like weasels easy access, thus the reason for 1/2" or 1/4" hardware cloth...

Last edited:
Ok thanks everyone ill have tonshow my mom this information lol then maybe she'll believe me!

Back
Top Bottom