Getting ready to free range

Well that's what is so funny...they flew over the fence in fear, then somehow got back over it to get to the coop...an 8' fence. But then when it came to the 3' plastic fence surrounding the coop they were running around it pressing themselves up against it and squacking with no idea how to get over it, lol. Honestly my guess is they found a place where there was a gap and crawled under the big fence to get back in. But the gaps are small and eventually they will be too big to do this. They are somehow smart and so stupid at the same time...haha. Anyway, I now feel a bit more confident about their ability to come back at night as a group, so I think I will begin experimenting with letting them venture, without being scared over the fence by dogs or anything else. They are 6 weeks old today.
What a perfect description of guinea fowl, “… somehow smart and so stupid at the same time.” :gig

Attachments

• IMG_1516.jpg
    IMG_1516.jpg
    559.7 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1507.jpg
    IMG_1507.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0139 (1).jpg
    IMG_0139 (1).jpg
    553.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_E0121 (1).jpg
    IMG_E0121 (1).jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 2
Now here's another free ranging question---

for those who free range their guineas, how long did it take for them to feel comfortable leaving the coop area? I know they're still adjusting so I don't want to push it. But I've been leaving the gate to the run open so they can free range within my fenced 3 acre orchard, and so far they are pretty much just hanging out taking dust baths. I have gently walked behind them a few times and pushed them out, they hang out for a bit but inevitably end up back inside the grass run haha.

Some techniques I have considered...keeping the door to the coop closed until evening, (just during this initial training period--we are in the orchard working so I don't think predators will be an issue while we're right there), removing their food except at nighttime feeding before bed, walking behind them a bit more to really push them at least 10-20' away from the coop, so they have a little walk to get back etc.

It's funny, in all my reading everything was about getting them to come back to the coop--I can't find anything that talks about getting them to leave! I am sure eventually they would do it on their own...but, if I do nothing to encourage it, will it take a few months? weeks? etc. what are your thoughts/experiences. These keets are in their 8th week now.

It's funny, in all my reading everything was about getting them to come back to the coop--I can't find anything that talks about getting them to leave! I am sure eventually they would do it on their own...but, if I do nothing to encourage it, will it take a few months? weeks? etc. what are your thoughts/experiences. These keets are in their 8th week now.
I agree with @Isadora , don't be in any rush, enjoy them while they are just hanging out and learning. They are still young and with out any older guineas for them to watch and learn from their bravery will come slow. My first 10 keets 4 years ago had to learn on their own and I was impatient for them to do all the the things you want yours to do. Well, they got brave and now I have one
IMG_20200830_071905590.jpg
left from the original 10 , and he's probably as smart as a guinea can get, he knows his way around. Patience is the key.

I agree with @Isadora , don't be in any rush, enjoy them while they are just hanging out and learning. They are still young and with out any older guineas for them to watch and learn from their bravery will come slow. My first 10 keets 4 years ago had to learn on their own and I was impatient for them to do all the the things you want yours to do. Well, they got brave and now I have oneView attachment 2663741 left from the original 10 , and he's probably as smart as a guinea can get, he knows his way around. Patience is the key.
My guineas took about a week before they started ranging farther from the coop. I agree that you don't need to rush it. We people tend to get impatient with these kinds of things, but they'll get there.
I agree with other comments. Your keets are still little and they know they are prey. It’s good that they are establishing their coop as their safe place. It’s like kids where you can’t wait until they can talk, and then when they talk, you can’t wait until they nap so you can have peace and quiet for a little bit! If you want to draw your keets out more, I’d consider sprinkling a thin trail of mealworms for them. That also cements you as their treat provider. You could also try some activity near their coop door. If they see you nearby and trust you, they may come over to check things out. A few mealworms when they venture out might help that too. They will get bolder as they venture out without getting attacked. Your recent dog scare may have convinced them of how scary the world is, but keets are also naturally timid. They probably won’t be really bold for months, so keep thinking of how you can help them feel safe.

Back
Top Bottom