getting ready to get my brooder ready! Missing anything?

boykin2010

Crowing
12 Years
Sep 26, 2010
South Georgia
I am going to TSC tommorow to prepare my brooder since my chicks will be hatching next week. I am getting my brooder from my grandpa. He has something i think will be perfect... It is a square cage on wheels wrapped in chicken wire.
I think i will be using paper towels for the first couple of days but then i am going to use pine shavings. Is this ok?
I am going to buy a chick feeder and waterer. i will also buy the chick feed. Is there a certain feed i need to get? I know of chick starter feed.
I already have a heat lamp although i wont need it for long. It has been about 75 to 80 degrees here all week.
Am i missing anything?
Are pine shaving ok?

Hi, paper towel work great but I prefer wood pellets to shavings as they are much less messy to use. The pine shavings get everywhere and tend to land up in the waterer.
The pellets are about 4-5 dollars they are the pellets used for stoves or for bedding in horse stalls.
Good luck!

Quote:
I have never had a problem with them eating pellets. I think they would be a bit to big and heavy anyway.

Souds good to me. You might want to purchase some small feeders and waterers and then larger ones for when they outgrow the small ones.... But the large ones should still be meant for chicks.

The wire cages don't prefect from drafts which should be a priority- I would recommend covering the sides with wood.

I didn't put my last chicks in their age brooder until 3 weeks old, anyway.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom