Getting ready to go to TS - need advice

Crazy4Chicks

Songster
12 Years
Nov 20, 2007
Glendale, AZ
I was talking to the manager at TS last night and he is getting the baby chicks/ducks this friday ( all from privett ).
so far he knows he is getting RIR, BR, Cornish X, and alot of banty's, and a few other breeds - each breed is coming on a different day to keep them seperate which I think is pretty cool.
I want some Barred rocks - is there a way to tell roo's from pullet ? I also want some RIR - also will I be able to tell roo - pullet ?
I also am planning to grab as many little banty's as I can ( hoping to sneak a few silkies in under DH's nose lol ) I will sort out roo-pullets later on the banty's lol.

he has no idea what breed of ducks are coming yet - there is no way of telling a male from a female at an early age is there ?

any pics of baby's you might have showing roo-pullets would be great - thank you in advance

Julie

The only way you might be able to tell a roo is by lowering your had in the tank and see if any chalange your hand. I do it a lot with the chicks I hatch and those 9 times out of 10 are little roos. It really doesnt matter how old they are. There still will be a chance that a hen is very agressive to but most of the time it is little roos. Good luck, Jenn

I guess I can always do the " cross your fingers and grab thing " if I get one roo in either breed that will be fine - as long as it stays nice and mellow - I have a banty roo but he is getting his own yard along with the banty's I get from TS when they are old enough.

Julie

There is something I read about the head spots on BR's. Mine have a round yellow spot and they are girls, when I went to the feed store the other day they had BR's with the yellow spot and some with a yellow stripe, might have been boys.

Last edited:
Julie,

I believe that you can tell the barred rock pullets from the cockerels, most of the time. Males will be slightly lighter in color, maybe having a silver sheen to the fluff. And, the spot on the male's head will be larger and less defined at the edges than the spot on the female's head. Also, females tend to have a darkish "wash" down the front of the legs, whereas males do not.

I saw a post some time ago that had pictures showing the difference. Maybe if you use the search function, you can find it. Pictures are always so helpful.

Good luck!

ok - I am pretty sure I can tell in the BR's roo - pullets thank you for the help...now what about the RIR ?

If I get a roo in either of these breeds- which would be better ? I know each roo is different they all have thier own ways about them - but as a breed over all which would be better, easier to handle, calm, but I want a good protector of the flock.

Julie

I believe it's harder, if not next to impossible, to tell the difference in the RIR's. I read somewhere that male chicks in general tend to have stockier legs than females. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. But it kind of makes sense...

As to which would be better, a RIR roo or a BR roo: I've heard that RIR roos can be very mean, but it probably depends a lot on the bird itself, as well as how it was raised. One good thing that I can think of with the RIR roo is that if you cross it with a BR hen, you will get sex linked chicks. I know that the black sex links (Black Stars) that the hatcheries sell are a cross between a RIR roo and a BR hen.

So, that's one good thing, anyway. Personally, I would be hesitant to try the RIR's as straight run, just because I'd hate to have a mean and scary roo. But that's just me, and I have NO experience with RIR's. Also, I'm afraid of my own shadow, so take that with a grain of salt.
big_smile.png

Also wanted to add, my roo (Dominique) is very sweet and timid around people, but he's a wonderful protector of the flock. He's always on the alert for danger, and keeps his ladies close to him when they are free ranging. So, a roo doesn't necessarily have to be mean to be a good protector.

thank you lauralou - you are wonderful with the great advice. sorry to hear about the whole shadow thing LOL I think I will try to look for a BR roo - from everything I have read they seem to be a better fit for me - I am totally scared of those " mean roo's " we had a big white roo my DH named KFC and that thing would flog us every chance he got drew blood a few times - I made a few phone cals found someone who could handle him. but I really like the idea of a full sized roo with my girls, and move my little banty roo into his own yard with his own flock.

I think I will get more BR's and only a few RIR and hope for the best LOL

Julie

Back
Top Bottom