Getting really tired of spiders

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamaKate, Nov 3, 2009.

1. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    I live on reclaimed swamp land in S.E. MO. Our area is heavily infested with brown recluse spiders. I've had so many bites that people call me for advice when they get a bite. I got a small one a couple of weeks ago while I was sitting about 5 feet from my house. Tonight it happened in Wal-Mart! On top of my head! My daughter is moving to Nevada in the spring and going with them feels really tempting tonight.

2. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    Yikes, do you have the burn like scars they leave? My ex brother in law got bit by one at my house, he has a terrible scar! The Docs tried to tell him it was a recluse like spider, and not a recluse! I don't think so! His arm looks horrible till it finally heeled.
    I hope you are ok! Maybe call an exterminator out, I've heard they do that when people have large infestations of black widows, so maybe they can help you?

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] RUN! MOVE! [​IMG] They scare me.. [​IMG]

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    You can prevent the really awful scars if you catch it early. I do have some marks that are a couple of years old. Amen, Redhen. Moving is starting to be very appealing. An exterminator wouldn't help. The whole county is full of them.

5. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    OMgosh! .... and I run from the harmless spiders here..... cannot think what it must be like to be bitten by one!

6. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    Me neither - I hate our ordinary harmless ones, I'm a real baby about them. Insects are a big deciding factor in holiday destinations!!

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Have you tried "Home Defence?" It's cheap, easy to use, and the same product that exterminators use. I use it for the Wolf Spiders around here. Not deadly or flesh-eating. But they pack a heck of a bunch and with my kids I'm not taking the chance.

8. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    I have just gotten over some mystery finger infection I swore was from a spider bite, yet another spider bite that got infected... No pits or burns though. I have researched a bit on the internet, and IMHO, there a lots of spider toxins that don't play well with us and just like other carnivores, they carry very interesting germs in their dirty old mouths. When is it toxin and when is it staph or something?
    The little spiders are what I am afraid of. Those big wolf spiders are just plain entertaining for me -
    I invested $20 in a pair of really comfy leather garden gloves I promise I will wear Every Time I go In the garden.

Sorry, I can't recommend any chemicals - my health won't tolerate such.

9. Stumpy

Stumpy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    This post cost my eye because we've had more spiders inside in the last few weeks than I've ever seen, several kinds.

mamaKate, so sorry to hear about your spider problems. I don't want to know how close I've been to them, living deep in the woods. My sister was cleaning the house next door and found many inside! I don't know if I'd recognize them.

Quote:Is that a spray or powder? Where can it be purchased?

10. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Saying goodbye to recluse spiders was a huge perk of moving out west from TN. They are so much more aggressive then Black Widows.

I like spiders, but I hate hate hate recluse.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by