Getting scared of cost

Quote:
$500 for 3 chickens ? NO WAY .

we have 35 chickens and built a 8x12 ft. coop and a 12x20 run . All underground wiring , Overhead wiring , and built doors , nesting boxes and roost , for under 300.00 . and NOW looks like we may be adding on to that , we have extra materials . Bigger is always better . :))

Last edited:
Quote:
We used Lowe's instead of Home Depot ( and Home Depot is at the end of our street ) . Home depot is so much more expensive then Lowe's . I know alot of people are not lucky to even have a Lowe's in their general area , THANK GOD we have 3 Lowe's and 3 Home Depots .....

Some really expensive coops and runs. completely varmit proof

140.jpg

139.jpg

My sister once built a 8x10 coop using 2x4 framing, dirt flooring, salvaged tin from a torn down building. She put up dog fence wire on the outside of the frame and then, as she put the same on the inside, she stacked thick flakes(as wide as the 2x4 framework) of straw, one on top of each other between the two walls of wire, to form the walls. It packed tightly, it was very warm in the winter and cool in the summer, she covered the outside with heavy guage clear plastic for weatherproofing. She had buried the edge of the wire about a foot into the ground on the bottom of the building. It was very cute and is still standing today....it was built about 15 years ago. She framed out windows in the walls and they were covered with wire also, as she built. No predators, good insulation, cheap construction. She could still hang feeders and lights on the framing. It was pretty darn cute!

I even saw where one fellow built a chicken house out of haybale/cob construction and formed the nest boxes right in the wall of cob. Cute and tightly constructed. Pretty labor intensive, but it would last forever.

Quote:
Way.

It is what it is; we live in greater Boston in a very developed area - the commuter rail is at the end of my street. But if you really want a shock - send me a PM and I'll tell you what my taxes are!

lau.gif

~Phyllis

Back
Top Bottom