getting set to set for the first time

crysmom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
Okay I need someone to walk me through this, I"ve read everything I can read about incubating. I"ve got a hovabator with a fan and an autoturner its been running 24 hours with three thermometers and a waterweasel and seems to be holding temperatures well. The eggs are due to arrive this morning they will have been in transit 3 days and are all only 4 days old

my high temp was 99.8
my low temp was 99.3

I seem to see the temp pretty constant at 99.7 degrees with a 40-50% humidity

The fellow who sold me the eggs said to expect as low as 20% hatch so i'm going to be happy with 5 chicks (I got 30 eggs)

I"ve never candled before should I even bother trying? or just leave them unless they are cracked or smell?

I want another digital thermometer for in the water weasel, but its needs a probe (the flukers hydro/thermometer doesn't have a probe) any suggestions?
right now i'm using my digital turkey thermometer but it only reads to the degree so it either says 99 or 100 degrees switches pretty regular between the two so I think my temperatures are pretty accurate

I see someone else on the board is getting ready to set for the first time too
smile.png
i'll be watching that thread as well

Crystal

Those temps in a circ air bator are good. You dont have to use a water weasel. I do, but I see that I could do without it. I just got a Flukers and I like it-seems very accurate.
I would at least candle at the 10 day mark. It's a great skill to learn and will thrill you no end, I promise, to see the veins. Plus, if you have an embryo that has died, it gives you a chance to remove it before it can jeaopardize the other eggs.

Hi Crystal,
Welcome to the world of chicken obsession!!

I agree with what Cynthia said, but wanted to add that it takes practice to tell which embryos have died and which just look a little "off". My suggestion is to candle at day 10 and put the eggs you think look like they are developing properly on one side of your bator and the ones that don't on the other side (either that or mark them). Keep them separated when you take the turner out, and you can candle again at this point if you want to. This way, you can start to make sense of what you are seeing when you candle and become proficient in deciding which eggs are truly goners and which are keepers. Of course, get rid of any stinkers or leakers ASAP.

The really cool thing about candling is that you can start to adjust your incubation techniques as you learn what air cell size means, etc., not to mention the fact that you can actually see the embryos moving around - that part is really exciting.

Not everyone agrees with candling/handling your eggs, etc.. You just have to do your research and decide for yourself.

Best of luck with your hatch!!

Lori

I agree. They say a blood ring is obvious; well, sometimes it isn't at first and you have to wait a couple more days and re-candle to be sure. It certainly does take practice and even then, an egg will fool you.

Yep, they're tricky little critters. I can't imagine how horrible I would feel if I tossed an egg thinking it was no good, then found out that I had made a mistake. I, for one, am not that brave!!!
smile.png

Lori

thank you for all the experienced advice. That's what I"ll do then still waiting on the eggs tick tock tick tock mail isn't here yet for today
smile.png

I just set my eggs from Cynthia this morning so I'm only a day behind you if you set yours yesterday. This batch I'm really excited over. So good luck and keep us posted

How did you like the egg color? Isnt it pretty? My DH said they have such a pretty coating of color, they look airbrushed. I love my Ameraucana's eggs, such fat little aircell ends and pointy on the other so I can always tell which end is UP, LOL, unlike my BR, Lexie's, at times. I sometimes have to candle hers just to tell where that aircell is. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom