getting skinny?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by parsley, Sep 8, 2007.

1. parsley

parsley New Egg

Aug 19, 2007
    We just got our 12 Red Stars 2 weeks ago, they were laying the day we got them, they are 10 months old. BTW, I come to this board ALOT to learn things, like how to build the coop etc.
    So they came with hog rings through their beaks and a green blinder tag through that. we took all the blinders off, and plan to take of the rings. So, therefore I have held all the hens, did that last weekend, but today when I thought they were looking thin in the keel, I picked several up and they are quite thin. They get layer meal, kitchen scraps, and range during the day. What do we need to do? thanks!

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    Worms or stress from a move are the first things that come to mind. Sounds like you are giving them more room to roam than they previously had which will temporrily stress them and make them feel more vulnerable also. Blinders would tend to indicate rather tight confinement.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I agree fully. Blinders and rings on them! That's terrible, at least they weren't debeaked. They are probally freaking out over being able to see the world around them. I say maybe mix some feed with yogurt and see if that encourages them to eat more. Get a fecal sample if possible and check for bugs. Those can all be reasons to skinny birds.

4. parsley

parsley New Egg

Aug 19, 2007
    thanks for the replies, and....................they are debeaked. pretty pathetic. Going to add some cracked corn. They seem pretty happy to be loose, and they are getting the bugs and digging.

5. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I understand what the blinders are/do, but what are hog rings? Where do you even buy birds that have these kind of things done to them? From reading, I have found out that several of the hatcheries de-beak their chicks. I have never seen this, but don't think it would physically hurt the bird other than to deform it. Does it?

6. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Quote:From the type of hatcheries that deliver 10,000 layers at a time to the egg factories.

7. lady chicken whisperer

lady chicken whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Ohio
    sounds like youve got yourself some battery hens. I had forgotten that they de-break those. Glad you saved them

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:Well, debeaking would be equvalent to burning off the tip of your finger so your nail could not grow long. So it does hurt for a while and will heal up. Problem is that they often can not peck at food as well and are poor free rangers because their beaks cannot grasp onto goodies as well. I believe hog rings are things that go in between the beaks so they can eat pellets but cannot "bite" down on things.

Sounds like rescue birds to me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by