Getting Started Again

McKinzieClan

Hatching
Aug 18, 2016
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I grew up on an old (early 1900's) chicken farm where we had a small flock through most of my childhood (lots of leghorns). I was homeschooled and when I was 12, my dad - a high school science teacher - gave me a 4-year-long science project. I bought 50 rhoad island red chicks (they came in the mail!), had to raise them, create and execute a marketing plan to sell the eggs, purchase feed, do all the cleaning, herding, butchering of excess roosters, maintaining, and enjoying the broods of tiny chicks with their clucky mothers. My grandfather bought me a small incubator during that time. I purchased fertilized eggs and went through the process of hatching them. Those chicks followed me around like I was their mother. :) It was SO MUCH FUN. Now, almost 30, I'm starting again . . . on a much smaller scale! My husband and daughters (4 & 6) are excited to have chickens for the first time.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

We will be getting 4 this weekend.

(3) What breeds do you have?

They will be cochin and ameraucanas.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

It came up while searching the types of chickens we were considering.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Gardening, canning, homeschooling, & reading.

We're looking forward to learning lots together on the forum.
Thank you BYC!

(Briana) The McKinzies

Hi Briana and welcome to BYC and thanks for the intro. Seems like its going to be a happy trip down memory lane, for you and its great that you can share the experience with your daughters. There's lots of threads on non-chicken related stuff, including gardening, cooking, baking and homeschooling (I think - not my strong point
smile.png
) so please check out the whole of the site, when you can.

Best wishes
CT

Hi and welcome to BYC! Good luck with your new chickens, and if you ever have any questions, always feel free to ask. Thanks for joining us!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom