Getting started in Central Illinois!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gretchengrude, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Gretchengrude

Gretchengrude New Egg

Mar 23, 2013
    Our family would like to get started with backyard chickens, but are starting at square one. We live outside of Springfield, IL in a neighborhood with a large yard. Before we get started, I have a few concerns:

1. How noticeable will it be to our neighbors? Should I go to all of them before we jump in, or just ask for forgiveness later?
    2. We have 2 golden retrievers. How do you keep bird dogs from attacking the chicks? Is there a good way to train them?

We have 3 daughters, ages 10, 12, and 14. I think they are the perfect age to help take care of a new project like this! We look forward to learning from you all!

Gretchen

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Do you know the city code for animals,poultry? Neighbors can be the worst sort ever when surprised . Lots of people have "stealth coops," and get away with it, many more get fined and have to rehome their flock.

. If you do a search for "Stealth coops," I'm sure you find some. Generally they make coops to look like storage sheds, or playhouses.and have them placed out of view of neighbors if possible. Usually if you don't have roosters - the going is much easier. Tall privacy fence is best to anyone who can afford it. You have to change your life style too, to avoid having kids come over - they will surely tell all their friends you have real CHICKENS. If you feel out the adults - they may initially think its a cute idea, and then turn into Brutus after the deed is done. You'' read many stories about this on the various threads.

Maybe you are lucky enough to live in a neighborhood where others have chickens - and will get support from them.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, Gretchen, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! I agree with drumstick's advice about finding out if chickens are even allowed. If so, I'm a pretty upfront guy and would at least inform my neighbors of my plans - I wouldn't ask their permission - tell them you are just getting hens (there are breeds that are quieter than others) - and then maybe kick them a dozen eggs once in awhile to keep the peace.
    You can type in a search for "dogs and chickens" and learn how lots of folks manage to have their dogs and chickens peacefully co-exist. Mine (a lab and a golden retriever) are always initially curious about baby chicks. But as they grow up, the dogs just accept them as part of the family - I've never had trouble. They even get agitated when the chickens see a hawk or something and start making alarm calls - the dogs immediately want out so they can chase away whatever is harassing "their" chickens! Good luck to you!!

4. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Good luck with your neighbors and hope to see pics of your new chicks soon

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

x3 about checking on the legality of chickens before you jump in

7. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from New Mexico!

Good luck with your new chicken adventures. Hopefully it all works out for you. Enjoy BYC!

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

9. frogz

frogz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2013
    Springfield, IL
    Depends on how far outside of Springfield on how the community will deal with birds...and I have my chickens in a coop with electric fencing surrounding. Dogs learn quickly and after being shocked once they aren't likely to come back to it. My dogs are retrievers also so they just want to please their humans anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by