Getting Started in Georgia

klober

Hatching
Nov 29, 2023
Hello, We are considering getting started with raising Chickens for eggs however I need some advice as to best breeds. We live east of Atlanta and have a sweet golden retriever and 7 grandchildren so it's important that the chickens not only provide eggs but are also fairly sociable. My daughter in Savannah has Rhode Island Reds and these hens are like members of their family. We intend to have a nice coup built for these girls - just need advice as to which breeds would be best, looking at potentially 6 - 8 chicks. Thanks so much!

Hello and Welcome! I’m also in Georgia, I have 26 hens. I would say look for heat hardy breeds. Georgia is so hot and humid! I have Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorps, Easter Eggers, and some mixed breeds that have all done very well. Glad to have you join us! Good Luck with getting started. I started my flock 3 years ago and it had been so rewarding!
Can’t get enough of these chickens 🤣

Congratulations! Chickens are a blast!

If you want breeds known to be exceptionally gentle yet still lay a good amount of eggs, I would suggest Orpingtons (they come in different colors if you are interested) and Bielefelders (large but very gentle).

I have also had great luck with Plymouth Rocks and Easter Eggers, as well as Australorps and Naked Necks. All the breeds mentioned here should be ok in a little heat. If you stick with hens and not roosters, most chickens will be good around children as long as they are taught not to annoy them/pull their tails etc.

Some nice breed choices have already been given. Leghorns are very heat hardy, and lay great, but they don't like to be touched. They will be OK with being around you though, so I wouldn't scratch them off the list.

When reading the title, I though you meant the country🤣

If you are okay with a medium sized egg, I would recommend Dominiques. I wanted a flock where I only had one each of several breeds, but I am adding another Dominique next time I place a chick order, as they’re just too wonderful. I seem to recommend them every time I visit this forum, I feel like their spokesperson at this point 🤣

Dominiques are heat tolerant, as they originate from Dominica. Mine handled a heatwave of several days this summer where the hottest day had a heat index of 103°F. She hardly panted at all. They are good in colder weather too, as their combs aren’t prone to frostbite. They are also extremely affectionate and gentle. I handled mine a lot as a chick and she has basically become a lap chicken, and loves to cuddle. I only have the one, but have heard from others on this forum that have had the same experience with their Dominiques. She also loves foraging, her feathers are softer than my other breeds of chickens, and she has a very fun personality and quiet voice. She is friendly to anyone who comes to see her, not just the one who raised her. She sat in my father’s lap and fell asleep when he came to visit their run for the first time. She is bottom of the pecking order in my mixed flock. I’ve never seen her peck any of the other girls with any intention to hurt, unlike my Marans who are out for blood if another chicken gets too close. Also, even the standard sized Dominique (there are also bantams) is still a bit smaller than your average chicken, so they aren’t intimidating. I can’t imagine a better chicken to have around kids.

One added benefit to Dominiques is that they are autosexing, meaning you can tell the gender at hatch. If you only want females, order them from a hatchery and you’ll have a really good chance of not getting any accidental boys. I personally bought my pullet as a day old chick from Meyer Hatchery.

Here is a link to the reviews section for Dominiques for more info and testimonies:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/dominique.10898/

Here are some pictures of my Dominique:

911430EF-A034-4F30-B788-75234497B04C.jpeg

C209EAC8-ED27-45BA-99E3-CC73583187A8.jpeg

25632E6E-9E38-4984-96B5-32DECD5C1C70.jpeg
(Some people think barred feathers are boring, but they’re actually extremely lovely up close, plus they’re good camouflage. And did I mention Dominiques are soft? So soft!)

Back
Top Bottom