Getting started with shipping eggs for eating via online retailers

OK. How do you make a profit if shipping is $17? On amazon a dozen eggs sell for $20 including shipping.
You won't make any money selling eggs for eating if you have to pay for shipping and all the packaging. I used to work in shipping, and the costs are high, going higher. Big companies can afford to take a loss on some items because they make a lot on other items. You won't have that luxury.

If you are shipping out of your state, you must be NPIP certified. I believe that applies to eggs for any purpose, eating or hatching, but I'm not sure, so you'll have to look up the regulations. If you have to be certified, but aren't, and are caught, there can be serious consequences.

If you want to sell eggs, look into selling locally, with customers picking them up. Perhaps offer delivery for an additional fee.

Maybe it’s just me but I personally wouldn’t trust getting eating eggs off Amazon or similar. Nor would I pay those prices when they’re a few bucks at the store. I don’t think you would make money doing this.

I sell word of mouth right now, but would use eBay as that's where I have bought hatching eggs three different times, successfully. I sell these eggs for $20 per dozen plus shipping. Once I start genetic breeding them in a month or so, they'll be $40 per dozen, plus shipping. The $20 are a mix of fancy and regular silkies. The $40 would be all fancy. I send along 4 extra eggs per dozen to make up for any possible infertile ones.

I am VERY small scale though and just got into doing this due to so many requests.
How do you accommodate for customers with low hatch rates? Not saying you do but those have primarily been the negative reviews on Amazon. From my experience selling hatching eggs, success rate is out of my control, as customers don't always set the humidity right in their incubators, or sterilize their incubators, etc.

You won't make any money selling eggs for eating if you have to pay for shipping and all the packaging. I used to work in shipping, and the costs are high, going higher. Big companies can afford to take a loss on some items because they make a lot on other items. You won't have that luxury.

If you are shipping out of your state, you must be NPIP certified. I believe that applies to eggs for any purpose, eating or hatching, but I'm not sure, so you'll have to look up the regulations. If you have to be certified, but aren't, and are caught, there can be serious consequences.

If you want to sell eggs, look into selling locally, with customers picking them up. Perhaps offer delivery for an additional fee.
Yeah, that's what it sounds like, from you, also reading comments on Amazon seller central, and even the post office clerk. Thanks for the insights.

Back
Top Bottom