Getting Started

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AllCanadianChic, Mar 15, 2013.

1. AllCanadianChic

AllCanadianChic New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Ok so I get my chicks at a day old on March 27... We are super excited.. However, we have never done this before. We have a brooder and it is located in a spare room but need some help..
    1) What type of bulb should we use? It will be in our spare room we keep our house between 62-72
    2) Can I use an egg carton as a feeder while they are chicks or so I have to get a feeder?
    3) Do we just feed them chick starter or anything else?
    Any other info you think will be helpful will be LOVED :)

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    You can PM me if you have more questions. (But I'm not an expert by any means)
    Good Luck!! :)

3. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    they say dip their beaks in water which is fine, I don't keep this in their pen but with new chicks I like to give them sips of yolk water for a couple of days. they just lived on their yolk in the egg so it is fine, and keep hand warmer heating pads around. if they get weak or droopy they need more heat than just a heat lamp. I put one in a couple of socks if they don't feel well you can even put a dry wash cloth over them and they will think they are under a wing. the first week for a chick is when you have to be ready to care for them. after that they really start to do well.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  4. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    This guide will answer those questions: Raising baby chicks

Have a great time with the babies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by