Getting started...

dj lay 59

Hatching
Mar 20, 2015
We are getting chickens once we move. I know very little but am looking forward to learning. We want pets that lay eggs. Are some better pets than others?

Hello and welcome to BYC!

Production egg layers are the best layer chickens :), good luck!

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Drumstick diva has given you some good advice. Based on your criteria, I would suggest going with breeds that have a well-deserved reputation for being very calm and gentle (potential lap pets), such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, and Faverolles. If egg production is a priority, Australorps are the best layers on this list. If you want extremely high egg production, I would recommend Black Sex Links, which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of breeds and hyrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. They're not quite the lap pets that the other breeds in the list above are, but they do tolerate being handled, and on occasion, even seem to enjoy it. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Hello, Im sorta new here too but I'll chime in. I personally would recommend Barred Rocks. In my experience the hens are very friendly and I don't believe we ever had a rooster that was human aggressive. We never really babied our flock (maybe spoiled them a little
lol.png
), they were livestock not pets, yet the barred rocks were so friendly you'd think they were pets! We had a few hens that would beg to ride around on your arm or shoulder for no reason haha. Now they probably won't lay as many eggs as one of the production breeds but I'm my experience they do lay quite well, especially if they are from hatchery stock. I also second the Buff Orpington suggestion, they were some of our friendliest chickens as well.

welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined our "flock!"

If you want pet chickens that also lay plenty of eggs, then I would suggest Wyandottes, Orpingtons, Australorps, Easter Eggers, and Sex-links. Two other breeds that make excellent pets are Silkies and Cochins. However, those two breeds are more "ornamental," and don't lay very well.

Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us.

For pets that also lay a good number of eggs, I suggest getting Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Australorps, Orpingtons, Sussex, Ameraucanas, or Brahmas. If egg production isn't a huge priority, you could get Silkies or Cochins, as they are probably the most pet-like breeds (but won't lay as well).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom