Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I am calling my hatch over tonight

from the lockdown

from Bator one

5/8 swedish flower hens

6/11 salmon favs - one died pipping wrong end - i assisted another out.- they were shipped in cartons - small end up. 3 i opened died upside down. stopped opening
    1/1 buff brahma
    1/1 mystery yellow chick with a hint of brown down on the back of its neck that was labeled buff brahma by shipper but not

from bator 2 - a wonderful genesis that the little 12v adaptor plug accidently was not all the way in for atleast 5-8 hours on day 7

3/14 buff brahma but their feet were deformed - the back toe was a stub, front toes fused. They could not stand - culled
    0/2 BCM
    0/5 golden campines

bummed about the second bator but that loss of power was too much

over all a successful scientific experiment

2. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Shame about 'bator 2 mate.

Was on a pretty good roll stats wise. Suppose a lesson learnt and improve next time. Every breeder has much to learn from experience as from reading.

4 Days!
  3. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

we have power outages in the Philippines so it help me make sure we have back up plans also

thanks mate

4 days!!!
  4. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    well atleast you got some to hatch out OZ
    i guess it's just not the same when they have to take a plane to get to you before you ever put em in the bator
  5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

thats the truth. even cali eggs taken to the phils by me get saddled air cells
  6. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    the buffs look to be holding up their end of the deal OZ
    they have been laying well after i told em that you needed the goods to take with you on the big trip
    so i guess this is now the start of
    "getting the flock out of here 2.0"
    i'll be at the post office tomorrow & if those clowns don't bust em all up you sould have them by tues. afternoon
  7. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

so just when you think its over...

I went to the bator to toss and clean and what to i find? 2 of the 4 golden campines chirping with one pip, one of the salmon favs and a buff brahma chirping

you live and learn.
  9. piglett

Feb 22, 2012
    they say never pitch out the remaining eggs till day 26

nite nite OZ
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  10. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    this is on my to do list this year! got to check some out at my friends place and they are NICE MEATY birdies!! lol...definitely worth a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by