Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Sorry off topic, I figured this group would understand. I knew it would happen but in three years of raising, breeding and keeping chickens, I've never had to put one down. Yesterday was my first. I gave her a week in a separate sick cage and medicated to the best of my ability. She seemed to have egg peritious? Spelling. And she was losing weight so fast I felt she was suffering. I think of them as livestock not pets but this one was my first hatched here and she had a name. She was second in command to my rooster and one of the wife's favorites. I had to do it but it still felt wrong. Oddly enough we have a since of peace now that she's not hurting anymore. Sorry for venting but none of my local friends would understand.

Sorry you had to go through that, but you did the right thing. I had to do the same thing last year, and I didn't have any "chicken people" to talk about it so I came to my BYC family.

I now have a 8 week old chick that is starting to get crossbeak, and I'm already dreading putting him down if it gets worse.

Sorry off topic, I figured this group would understand. I knew it would happen but in three years of raising, breeding and keeping chickens, I've never had to put one down. Yesterday was my first. I gave her a week in a separate sick cage and medicated to the best of my ability. She seemed to have egg peritious? Spelling. And she was losing weight so fast I felt she was suffering. I think of them as livestock not pets but this one was my first hatched here and she had a name. She was second in command to my rooster and one of the wife's favorites. I had to do it but it still felt wrong. Oddly enough we have a since of peace now that she's not hurting anymore. Sorry for venting but none of my local friends would understand.
its perfectly ok to bring this up here and its an honor for me that you feel you can

it is a tough decision but you did the right thing

hang in there

hugs.gif
Its all part of chicken keeping....

I feel you. I know how difficult it is but i learned (byc members taught me a lot of things) that it's part of raising chickens. When Billy, one of my first-batch-chickens, died i felt so sad but i learned to move on. as long as we give them the love and care they deserve, it's ok to let them go when inevitable time like this comes.

oz, Great news on the pork and chick sales!

I admire you for doing the hardest thing ever, being away from your family for such long periods, in order to make a future for them. One day you will all be together and it will have been worth it.
hugs.gif

@mpgo4th I don't think I will ever put one down without feeling sadness for having to it. I know it is the right thing but that doesn't make it easy, just possible.....especially when they have a name and have been around for years.

Last edited:
Oz, have the kids ever been to a country where most of the people look different from what they're used to? I bet it will be an interesting experience for them.

@mpgo4th Sorry for your loss, but like the others said, you did the right thing. That's why you feel at peace afterwards.

@vehve

I have lived like that.

I don't think they will have problems with assimilation.

Their father is white. They Skype their part African American and part Polynesian cousins.

California is very multicultural. Most areas are 20-30% Asian.

I also spend some time with them discussing the lack of importance of physical characteristics versus the soul of the person

another oinker sold

we have 18 piglets left to sell.

its a steady stream of income at the moment

That's some pretty money! A local Mexican restaurant has a glass counter at the register that they have taped a lot of money from other countries to the underside of the glass, I love looking at it and seeing the different designs and pictures on it.

Oh, I'm currently researching raising coturnix quail for eggs, for some reason we have a large Asian population but no one raises quail for eggs... strange... anything odd about them I should know? I know you have some out there.

Back
Top Bottom