Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

on styro bators, i prefer the hovabator with fan kit. a 12v computer case fan will work but run it on a 5v phone charger rather than 12v. it will tame it
  2. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

That's the exact mod I just did on my Hovabator. 80mm CPU fan powered by a 7v Nokia phone charger. Mounts right to the holes already in the lid.

Outer tray only of water has my humidity at 75% which is great for hatching.
  3. OffGridMAMA

OffGridMAMA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2012
    valley center, CA
  4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

my row house design is similar but will be 4 x 8 with 4 x 12 foot open runs.should be good for 6 girls and a happy roo. I am building 6 initially. I will build more as I need them. I will use mostly bamboo construction with thatched roofs
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2013
  5. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I don't want to sink any more money into my styro bators at all. I'm on the hunt for a cabinet.
    That's what I need to do, if I can get the ground level enough & the trees cleared out of the way. [​IMG]
  6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Building a cabinet incubator is quite economical.

I will put the plans and pictures together of another one I am building - its takes 3 turners and has a digital thermostat.
  7. chicknfun

chicknfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Bunnell, FL
    Silkie Sensation....I adore your avatar!!

Oz, glad you are safely back....hope you get some relaxation in the next few weeks!!
  8. SilkieSensation

SilkieSensation Overrun With Chickens

Oct 25, 2012
    Baltic, Ohio
    I'm looking to make 1 that doesn't require purchasing expensive turners. I have seen a few with tilt trays that you can tilt by hand & was looking more along those lines.
  9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

excellent for california indeed.

It would last one season in our salty environment. I built a water tower four years ago. I would not send Bernie up it now. We have town water coming in a month. It may be a good thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by