Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

thanks Mary

what a rollercoaster

the quails are not so good.

delayed hatches are fraught with problems. one of the quails that were assisted died. The second is OK, In a brooder alone. Mrs Oz will open the other eggs in the morning - its 10pm there.

I really hope we get another few quails out. One just sucks but given the situation it is amazing we have any. Inday (my wife's nick name) used to work in L&D before she became a nurse practitioner says that delivering babies is way easier than dealing with chicks.

we will give the lone quail some sebright banty chicks as company in the morning.

no power disruptions for 5 weeks and 3 power outages today. Mrs Oz earned her beer tonight.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I use this model and am very happy with accuracy. I had to calibrate each remote but now I am good to go.

The whole generator and power issue

I wont buy a generator for now, What I am doing is setting up a decent size UPS and then wiring it to a deep cycle marine battery instead of the small one that comes with it.

It will last more than 24 hours without needing a recharge.

It has the advantage of no maintenance - I wont have to organize to get the generator to a mechanic or the mechanic to the generator from 7500 miles away, and having to get the mechanic paid. Routine maintenance has to be performed to keep a gas genny running and a mega kilowatt expensive diesel one will rust before my eyes and be useless in 3 years. to replace the UPS is 70 bucks.

At 2 am when the power goes out and your fast asleep, I am not there to turn on the genny - I am in dream land

It has no fuel - the biggest problem of theft on farms in the Philippines is employees stealing fuel. I am not saying Bernie will steal anything but other help and day laborers could.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  3. maryhysong

maryhysong Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2012
    Claypool, Arizona
    I was a midwife's apprentice for a bit and have assisted goats and such. Yes chicks are just as hard if not harder. So hard to tell if you are doing the right thing helping them or not. I wait until the very end of the hatch to help and then only if they've pipped and just seem stuck or shrinkwrapped. Even then I try to only help just enough that they can free themselves after I've wet the membrane and chipped off some shell. Some make it and some don't. Sometimes the ones that make it then are failure to thrive and die a week later. That is sadder than if they never get out of the egg, I think. Well hoping some more of yours make and thrive.

4. hillfloweranch

hillfloweranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2012
    Los Angeles, California
    [​IMG]

5. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Sorry to hear about the coaster ride you and your family is on Oz. I have faith in you to figure it out and smooth sailing next run of the quail.[​IMG]

6. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

thanks LFC.

its a learning process. we will master it though

7. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    sounds like ya might salvage a few breeding pair ....cool

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

we hope so

waiting for earth to rotate about 30 more degrees so dawn breaks on monday in the Philippines.

If the quail are a bust, I will just take 120 more. We will do this till we win.

9. el pollo rey

el pollo rey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2013
    costa Rica
    Yup yup u will get it done ! And u Aussies are used to being on the other side of the date line lol

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

the emotional pendulum keeps on swinging

one surviving cotournix chick. eggtopsies showed fully developed wet chicks. humidity through til lockdown was 50+%

mini dehumidifier and humidistat ordered.

4 power outages on day 20.

2 sebright banties hatched on day 20

day 21 is upon us

Mrs Oz is drained.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by