Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ozexpat, Dec 25, 2012.

1. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I will take loads of photos.

I also bought a cheap digital camera and 2 memory cards for Bernie to use and relay the memory cards to Bacolod for uploading while we are not in the province.

2. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Getting the flock out of here part 4 - Independence Day (well sort of)

I left the USA on the evening of the 3rd. Arrived in Manila on the morning of the 5th. The flight was not too full and the winds were favorable so we did not need to refuel in Guam. This made for a 13.5 hr direct flight. The flight was very smooth and the service was great. As far as trans-pacific flights go, it was tolerable.

I have to hang out here in Manila till 850am and then we arrive in Bacolod at 10am. Mrs Oz has to pass by her school for a few hours so we will probably get to the chicken ranch at around 5pm. As it will be nearing dark and be somewhat chaotic, I will set the eggs early tomorrow.

The list of eggs kept growing but a few did not make it in time via USPS. The local vendor that was supposed to supply me with my control group said that it was too hot - 110F - to guarantee fertility so I came without those. Its a shame but better than hauling 90 additional clear eggs.

The haul

The arrived column indicates eggs that arrived in my apartment in the OC. There were a few broken eggs and a few extras.

Breed incubation time Abbv Expecting Arrived Set Lockdown Hatched
    Peafowl - Black Shouldered
    28​
    PF-BS
    6​
    6​
    peafowl - Mixed
    28​
    6​
    6​
    peafowl - Mixed
    28​
    PF-BL
    6​
    6​
    Turkey - Eastern Wild
    28​
    TE
    24​
    18​
    Turkey - Narraganset
    28​
    TB
    12​
    12​
    Duck - Pekins
    28​
    D-P
    6​
    8​
    Duck - Jumbo Pekin
    28​
    D-JP
    24​
    20​
    Duck - Ruoen
    28​
    D-R
    20​
    20​
    Duck - Welsh Harlequin
    28​
    D-WH
    16​
    16​
    Guinea Fowl
    28​
    G2
    36​
    40​
    Guinea Fowl
    28​
    G1
    30​
    34​
    Chukar Partridge
    24​
    CP
    50​
    62​
    Coturnix - Texas A&M
    18​
    60​
    0​
    Coturnix - Pharoah
    18​
    30​
    0​
    silkie/sizzle
    21​
    SS
    12​
    12​
    swedish flower hens
    21​
    SF
    10​
    11​
    Light Brahmas
    21​
    B
    12​
    12​
    Blue Andalusians
    21​
    AN
    16​
    18​
    Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons
    21​
    LO
    12​
    12​
    Americaunas
    21​
    A2
    24​
    24​
    Americaunas
    21​
    A1
    16​
    15​
    Breda Fowl - Blue
    21​
    BF
    12​
    12​
    Wellsummers
    21​
    W
    12​
    12​
    452​
    376​

3. piglett

piglett Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    NICE!

just don't eat too many of those 1/2 formed duck eggs while over there [​IMG]

4. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

I will save the balut for you my friend

5. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

We arrived at the beach house. Its good to be home. Its soooo green.

1 person likes this.
  6. LFchixranch

LFchixranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    South Central PA
    Glad you had a safe trip Oz. You'll get the eggs over there eventually. Enjoy the time with the family. Hope you have a smooth flight back.

7. apteryx

apteryx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Alabama
    It sounds like your trip over there went smoothly. I am looking forward to seeing how the previous hatches are growing and hearing about the duck processing. Enjoy the time with your family!

8. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Thanks. My daughter has been Glued to me since I got here. Stuff like that is incomprehensible to the per fatherhood oz

9. BakinInAZ

BakinInAZ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2013
    I read this thread from the beginning-it took a few days & my eyes are tired, but so uplifted by the pulling together of so many to meet another's dream of this life's journey. OZ has made a difference to many for sure. His family, employee's & his adopted country. I really see the difference all these birds can make to the Philippine's. And all because he so desperately wants to finalize the adoptions & that sounds well on it's way now also. Hoping you are having a wonderful family time and all the bird plans work out. Awesome idea about the sausage, too.[​IMG]

10. ozexpat

ozexpat CocoBeach Farm

Thanks for the support. The people that frequent this thread are responsible for me continuing this crazy adventure.

Its 716 am. Breakfast of home laid eggs, spicy tuna and rice is over. Bernie finishes his break at 8 then its egg unpacking time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by