Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I like this one a whole lot, Oz.
thumbsup.gif

Same here! Although I think the chickies on top of the letters may be distracting. They're better suited on the sides of the words. I like the very first one as well for simplicity sake.

As we are ramping up I need to think about regular help for Bernie.

We got out of pigs during the tenure of the previous "Bernie". He has an amazing weeder and gardener but lacked animal husbandry skills. To make money from pigs you need all the piglets to survive. He had lost two litters straight through inaction.

We have a campus of the South Negros Agricultural College nearby. I am contemplating starting a kid from the college. I would pay his tuition and a stipend in return for working a few hours each weekday and saturdays to re-start pigs. I have outbuildings to cope with 3 sows and 2 grower pens. They are attached to a septic for poop.

From a financial aspect it is a great deal for both of us but more so for the kid. I would make sure I selected one that was on the verge of not continuing due to finances. We are also encouraging Analou, Bernie's wife to go back to teacher's college. She started before we met them but ran out of money. We have asked her to get copies of transcripts but she needs to show motivation to get them.

Oz, for all these reasons we follow you ;) you're a smart and generous human being and I'm just glad you're my friend!

P.s. my nine Turkey eggs are due Thursday!!! Hoping for at least a few poults ;) i am excited!

Oz, for all these reasons we follow you
wink.png
you're a smart and generous human being and I'm just glad you're my friend!

P.s. my nine Turkey eggs are due Thursday!!! Hoping for at least a few poults
wink.png
i am excited!

As far as friendship goes, you my friend are one of the main reasons this project even got off the ground. If our paths never crossed, I probably would have 11 mixed chickens in my backyard.

I hope so too.

We candled the top shelf last night in the Phils. The turkeys did not look good at day 8 nut we will give them another week.

The khaki campbell ducks I got from the lady in lake elsinore that i got my other mutt eggs from on trip one look ok. 13/19 veining. The creme legbars are 7/11, 7/11 and 10/18. 4/7 of Jills Swedish Flower Hens and 3/4 rhodebars. The banties are not complete but we have 33/36 banty cochin eggs that were shipped veining so it looks like we may end up with a flock of broody machines.

There are also 6/9 of sunnysideupmicrofarms banty chocolate orps doing well. 3 were extras so I am crossing fingers we will get a couple of roos to cross with my Brittish Black Orps. It could be fun to have a LF chocolate orp project pen going.

The Guineas are doing great but they seem to survive shipping the best of all breeds 24/28

I will get the results of the second shelf at around 5am Anaheim time

It could be a lot worse.
The ratio of non-developing eggs seems to be similar for most of the LF eggs.

Banty eggs always travel better. Less to slosh around.
Once had 20 Banty Cochin eggs shipped and 19 hatched.

Fingers crossed for them all Oz!!

It could be a lot worse.
The ratio of non-developing eggs seems to be similar for most of the LF eggs.

Banty eggs always travel better. Less to slosh around.
Once had 20 Banty Cochin eggs shipped and 19 hatched.

Fingers crossed for them all Oz!!

Oh don't get me wrong. Those numbers for the blue eggs are great. 24 viable embryos give us a good chance of getting a breeding pen established fairly quickly. We also have another batch of Swedish flower that I will get results from in a few hours. There are 18 in that batch from Washington state.

We have a long way to go. Typically 50% of imported eggs that vein poop out on me before hatching. We have certainly improved technique so I am hoping for a little better but I won't start building a stack of extra coops till we have chirping leg banded fluffy butts.

The only construction to prepare for this batch is a 120"x30" quail cage. Even if 30 hatch I can't handle them until we get new accommodations soon.

Back
Top Bottom