Getting the right humidity in my incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by gtpittman, Oct 14, 2013.

1. gtpittman

gtpittman New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    Dallas, GA
    My eggs are on day 4 with humidity at 41% and 99 degrees but im not sure how to get it to 75% humidity later on. Do I just add water to the tray or are there any other things i could do?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC! Adding water to the trays should help, but increasing the total water surface, for example by putting a shallow dish in the incubator, if you have space for one, should up the humidity as well. What I do in my incubator when I lockdown is spread a damp cloth under the egg tray and keep it damp. That worked very well for me so far. Best of luck with your hatch!

3. Bens-Hens

Bens-Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

If I might also add, that if you have open containers in there, make sure they are high sided, or have some form of cover over them. Low flat dishes may drown the new chicks when they are fumbling around in there.

I use plastic containers with lids, and heaps of holes drilled in them, safe yet still allows the humidity to get up where it needs to be.

[​IMG]

Happy Hatching!

4. gtpittman

gtpittman New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    Dallas, GA
    I preciate the tips

5. I use a 3" 5" sponge standing on the side in a 1" deep tupperware container ..... this provides more surface area for the water to evaporate.
    If you achieve too much humidity, lay the sponge down or remove it .... replace it when needed.
    experiment experiment experiment

Relative humidity is different all over the country ..... just find what works for you

hahahha Florida has a relative humidity of 90% all the time so it doesn't take much to get a nice level inside the incubator.
    I would think that Arizona would have to struggle to get a 75% humidity in the shower !!

6. gtpittman

gtpittman New Egg

Jun 25, 2013
    Dallas, GA
    Thanks ill try that. Im in GA so its quite humid here too. What day should i bump up the moisture?

7. Daedalus62

Daedalus62 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2013
    Portugal
    My Coop
    That should be at lockdown (day 19), stop turning the eggs and raise humidity level.

Good luck with your hatch.

Regards

Last edited: Oct 22, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by