Getting the right humidity in my incubator

gtpittman

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
Dallas, GA
My eggs are on day 4 with humidity at 41% and 99 degrees but im not sure how to get it to 75% humidity later on. Do I just add water to the tray or are there any other things i could do?

Welcome to BYC! Adding water to the trays should help, but increasing the total water surface, for example by putting a shallow dish in the incubator, if you have space for one, should up the humidity as well. What I do in my incubator when I lockdown is spread a damp cloth under the egg tray and keep it damp. That worked very well for me so far. Best of luck with your hatch!

If I might also add, that if you have open containers in there, make sure they are high sided, or have some form of cover over them. Low flat dishes may drown the new chicks when they are fumbling around in there.

I use plastic containers with lids, and heaps of holes drilled in them, safe yet still allows the humidity to get up where it needs to be.

Happy Hatching!

I use a 3" 5" sponge standing on the side in a 1" deep tupperware container ..... this provides more surface area for the water to evaporate.
If you achieve too much humidity, lay the sponge down or remove it .... replace it when needed.
experiment experiment experiment

Relative humidity is different all over the country ..... just find what works for you

hahahha Florida has a relative humidity of 90% all the time so it doesn't take much to get a nice level inside the incubator.
I would think that Arizona would have to struggle to get a 75% humidity in the shower !!

Back
Top Bottom