Mon*Fish

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
Hello Everyone~
big_smile.png

This was my 3rd incubation. My first chick hatching
celebrate.gif
. How long til they get their bearings. This one seems to flop. I am worried it will hurt itself. I know that it probably normal. But I think I need some BIG reassurance! Or what should I be looking for and watching just in case. I am so nervous. Its been talking to me.
THANK U THANK U THANK U in Advance!!
Jami
bow.gif

Hi Jami!
Are these your d'uccle eggs?

I can take a while for chicks to get their legs under them, some longer than others.
How long has he been out of the egg?

Carolyn

Hi~
These are my Duccle eggs. He hatched about an hour ago give or take. I am thinking I will have a low hatch due to power outage here. But I am pleased with one hatching. We do hear others and they are in egg cartons. I was just worried. I've never done this. Been sitting on my hands. I am very glad to hear that this is normal.
Thanks!

P.S. He is fully detached just flopping( not like convulsing just here and there) all over. The kids think this is great cause its getting the others moving along. I on the other hand worry he will hurt himself.

Last edited:
If it's been an hour it sounds REALLY normal
smile.png

We lost our electricity last week too.
I had two brooders and an incubator hooked up to our generator
lol.png

My hatch was ok, I had 22 out of 24 hatch.
Carolyn

Wow! You are great at hatching. So how did your Duccle eggs turn out? I've been meaning to call. I didnt notice the power outage til the next morning, I was a little upset. But I am happy I finally got something to hatch.
I did just look at him and one of his legs is behind the other is in front. Geez, Im a worrier.
hide.gif

It's ok to worry, artificial incubation was invented for worriers
wink.png

I actually had a bad d'uccle hatch. I had 10 eggs that looked great on day 18 and had only 4 hatch. I even had one chick pip into a blood vessel and bleed to death.

Other than the vein-pipper I seem to have lost the chicks to them not being dried down enough. I usually make my humidity adjustments to how they candle but since they were shipped their membranes were pulled away from the sides and gave the appearance of being more dried down than they were.

I told the breeder that I had totally blown the hatch on these wonderful/fertile eggs she shipped me. Bless her heart she sent me 15 more eggs which I set this morning.
smile.png
Very kind since it was my fault.

This batch of BCMs I added NO water until day 19 and had a great hatch. Check out ChooksChick's cheat sheet. This is my third year incubating eggs and I still learn more with each hatch.
Carolyn

Back
Top Bottom