Getting them to use roosting bar

hegazi

In the Brooder
Mar 30, 2017
MA
How do you get you chickens to use a roosting bar at night? Most of mine choose to crowd into the corner where their nesting boxes are, all into 2 boxes knocking each other into the floor instead of the 3 12 foot bars set up for them. I take them and place them on the bars but they head back to the boxes. Should I block off the boxes to train them? They're only 3 and a half months old so not yet laying so I don't know if it's an issue or I assume they should be trained now. The bars are 2x4s and higher than the nesting boxes.

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_210922969.jpg
    IMG_20170715_210922969.jpg
    498.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170608_085624.jpg
    20170608_085624.jpg
    330.4 KB · Views: 8
How do you get you chickens to use a roosting bar at night? Most of mine choose to crowd into the corner where their nesting boxes are, all into 2 boxes knocking each other into the floor instead of the 3 12 foot bars set up for them. I take them and place them on the bars but they head back to the boxes. Should I block off the boxes to train them? They're only 3 and a half months old so not yet laying so I don't know if it's an issue or I assume they should be trained now. The bars are 2x4s and higher than the nesting boxes.
Go in just after dark with a very dim light and gently place them on the roosting bars. Might have to do that a couple nights but for me---Works every time.

Don't shine the light any more than you need too----if you shine it on the floor below them---some will jump off the roost as fast as you put them on. I have a very dim flash light-----about dead batteries I use just for things like this.

How old are they? Eventually they'll roost but I lost a few at 8 ish weeks because they were just huddling in the corner.

My temporary Coop was a dog pen and they were pretty much sleeping with their heads hanging out.

How old are they? Eventually they'll roost but I lost a few at 8 ish weeks because they were just huddling in the corner.

My temporary Coop was a dog pen and they were pretty much sleeping with their heads hanging out.
You never want your chickens roosting next to a outside fence----a predator will reach in and tear them up or kill them or both. Its happen to me with some guinea's----bobcat got several of them----I got the bobcat----but that was not a even trade.

You never want your chickens roosting next to a outside fence----a predator will reach in and tear them up or kill them or both. Its happen to me with some guinea's----bobcat got several of them----I got the bobcat----but that was not a even trade.
They weren't roosting they were just huddling in the corner.

Chickens obviously aren't too bright. They had a nice cozy dog house with shavings in it to cuddle up in but nope they'd rather sleep with their heads hanging outside.

I went out and put them up on the roosting bar, after dark. I think it took 4 nights before all of them were up there by themselves. I only had a bright flashlight, but I set it in the corner facing up, I was as quick as I could be about it and they all stayed put.

Go in just after dark with a very dim light and gently place them on the roosting bars. Might have to do that a couple nights but for me---Works every time.

Don't shine the light any more than you need too----if you shine it on the floor below them---some will jump off the roost as fast as you put them on. I have a very dim flash light-----about dead batteries I use just for things like this.
I've tried this but my light was probably too bright and moved too much. I'll try again being more careful. Thank you

Have they been up on the roosts at all during the day?
That can help them learn to navigate up there.

I would block off the boxes(nests?).

I use a headlight that has a low setting and the direction of beam can be adjusted.
Set it on low and point it up, stills give me enough light to see but doesn't light their 'path of escape'. Move birds to roost well after dark.

Back
Top Bottom