Getting to the "Cause" (or some clues) about Autism

I have a question about Autism...

My 13 yr old son; quite bright..but is diagnosed with mild depression and severe ADHD...

he does fit the characteristics of the ADHD; but the meds dont really help him..and he's getting
REALLY seen as an outcast at even youth group..he cannot deal with kids his age..and actually has
a hard time getting along with MOST kids unless they are older..not sure why...

Could there be a misdiagnosis of ADHD when he in fact has slight autistic probabilities? (did that make sense?? LOL)

anyway; I mean this is a "symptom" overview of Autism: (the bolded ones he does/has)

Difficulty mixing with other children;
No real fear of danger;
Tantrums: displays extreme distress for no apparent reason, -- he doesnt throw TANTRUMS persay; but I can
be talking to him and saying "next time could you do this" and he starts crying...not bawling..but crying and gets really irritated FAST!

Inappropriate giggling or laughing, -- SMIRKS big time..even when he is getting in trouble..and he says he cant help it..
May not want cuddling or act cuddly, -- quite the opposite..he's very very lovey
Noticeable physical overactivity or extreme underactivity; -- Unless I PUSH PUSH him to go to Taekwondo..he sits..SOMETIMES; he'll go outside..but its short
stents; like 10 - 15 min..
Little or no eye contact,
Works impulsively; often makes careless mistakes: work is sloppy, -- I'm his teacher; you have NO idea...the mistakes..omgosh..
Uneven gross/fine motor skills -- fine = handwriting?? yep! he just learned to ride a bike last yr..he was 12...

But here is the ADHD list...

Cannot talk or play quietly; disrupts others with talk or actions,
Difficult awaiting turn in games or activities, -- sometimes..
Engages in potentially dangerous activities,
Plays without normal caution or consideration of consequences,
Severe temper tantrums,
Interrupts, disrupts, talks and acts inappropriately,
When younger, difficulty accepting soothing or holding,
Always on the move, overactive, even during sleep,
Often does not seem to listen when spoken to directly, -- sometimes
Often does not give close attention to details or makes careless mistakes in school work or other activities,
Uneven gross/fine motor skills.

I mean is it POSSIBLE to have a double diagnosis??? is it worth talking to his counselor about???
everyone is just so quick to diagnose with adhd..ya know..here take a pill...
<sigh> as a mom..I get so saddened and discouraged...

Quote:
Momagain.. find the autism thread on here(use the search button).... someone on that thread posted a link that kinda "tests" for autism.... have your son take that test..it will give you a bit more of an idea where you stand....
Let me know if you cant find it... i'll try to help you...
hugs.gif

Quote:
OOh yes... SORRY! My mistake!
hide.gif

Isnt Aspergers kind of a high functioning Autism though? Not sure...

yes..I believe it is..

However; I just took a quiz based on how I see him..and it came up this (I will ask him these questions tomorrow tho..to get HIS perception)

Thank you for filling out this questionnaire.

Your Aspie score: 89 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 105 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

but 89/200 doesnt seem to be "bad"...heck who aam I kidding..I have no clue lol...

There are critics that believe that ADHD is simply a manifestation of Autism spectrum disorders such as Aspbergers. Your list fits the profile of Aspergers/Autism spectrum. O.A.S.I.S. google that and look at the criteria for the austrailian aspergers testing chart... Good luck.. A true diagnosis of Aspbergers should be done by an Aspbergers EXPERT. they can rule it out also. They do a brain mapping series of test that difinitively diagnosis... It rules it in or out.

I just went on a little tirade the other day to my mother... thinking about aspergers and I may have it.. and from what I had read on the genetics involved.. my theory was that it's a step in evolutionary advancement. An unperfected step, one the kinks were being worked out of.. but it seems somewhat natural to me.. that as humans social activities have changed and the necessity for occupational flexibility has lessened.. maybe we are moving towards being humans who focus simply on one task..
I could be totally wrong, of course.. but those are my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom