Getting two Flemish Giant Rabbits, What Should I know Before Getting?

Hi MysteryChicken, as a kid I grew up in Belgium (where they originally come from) and our neighbours did have them (I was supposed to get one baby from them but sadly my dad never build the stable he promised and so my blue Flemish Giant I already had chosen got slaughtered/eaten 😔)
They need a much bigger stable than other breeds. Well/massive build, because of the body weight. Never take a growing or grown Flemish Giant at the neck skin, they are too heavy for that. Take them under their forefeet and support their bum. If you practice this from the start it will be no problem when they get older.
Congrats on getting a pair, I wish you a lot of fun with this awesome giants!

Hi MysteryChicken, as a kid I grew up in Belgium (where they originally come from) and our neighbours did have them (I was supposed to get one baby from them but sadly my dad never build the stable he promised and so my blue Flemish Giant I already had chosen got slaughtered/eaten 😔)
They need a much bigger stable than other breeds. Well/massive build, because of the body weight. Never take a growing or grown Flemish Giant at the neck skin, they are too heavy for that. Take them under their forefeet and support their bum. If you practice this from the start it will be no problem when they get older.
Congrats on getting a pair, I wish you a lot of fun with this awesome giants!
Sorry about that.

Good too know.

How large should the Hut, & Run be?
They are not very active when grown up (well not as active as smaller breeds) but they need much space. They need to be able to stretch out very comfortably in the hut (they easily reach 2,6 feet when stretching out), they are more prone to heat than smaller breeds. When such a giant does two hops that's already a distance compared with smaller rabbits. They get big litters (11 babies was totally normal at my neighbours). My sister did have a German giant, I'm trying to remember the measurements from his hut and run. I will fetch a yardstick, I'm bad imagining distances.

They are not very active when grown up (well not as active as smaller breeds) but they need much space. They need to be able to stretch out very comfortably in the hut (they easily reach 2,6 feet when stretching out), they are more prone to heat than smaller breeds. When such a giant does two hops that's already a distance compared with smaller rabbits. They get big litters (11 babies was totally normal at my neighbours). My sister did have a German giant, I'm trying to remember the measurements from his hut and run. I will fetch a yardstick, I'm bad imagining distances.
Would an 8' X 6' hut be sufficient with a 6' X 6' run be good?

For pets, breeding, or meat?

They are obviously going to require much more space, and a bit more grooming simply because of their size, but other than that care for for them would be the same as any other rabbit breed.
Most likely gonna breed them for meat.

Most likely gonna breed them for meat.
Ok. Do you or anyone you know have experience breeding? It's a lot of work and definitely not something you can easily just do for fun.

You'll need extra large cages and a large run for them to exercise properly.

Back
Top Bottom