Getting two Flemish Giant Rabbits, What Should I know Before Getting?

Ok. Do you or anyone you know have experience breeding? It's a lot of work and definitely not something you can easily just do for fun.

You'll need extra large cages and a large run for them to exercise properly.
I can do some research, I do not know anyone who know's about it.

We're gonna build them a large hut, & run. Most likely will have a separate area just for breeding, & brooding.

Would an 8' X 6' hut be sufficient with a 6' X 6' run be good?

Yes I think a 8' X 6' hut would be sufficient for one breeding pair (and offsprings till they move at appropriate age). Run I would suggest a bigger one than 6' X 6' because the babies and youngsters love to run and be active, and 11 babies get 'crumped up' fast, they grow fast. I recommend a lot of shade.

Yes I think a 8' X 6' hut would be sufficient for one breeding pair (and offsprings till they move at appropriate age). Run I would suggest a bigger one than 6' X 6' because the babies and youngsters love to run and be active, and 11 babies get 'crumped up' fast, they grow fast. I recommend a lot of shade.
I was gonna add a separate area for the mother to brood.

I’ve never personally raised Flemish Giants (or rabbits for meat) but one thing to know is that it’s very important for their flooring to not be wire bottoms. Or if it is a wire bottom, definitely give them a place to get off of it since their feet can get sore hocks, especially since they are a MUCH heavier breed than your average rabbit. I learned the hard way and my rabbits were uncomfortable. Thankfully the sores didn’t get infected but it did make them uncomfortable.

But there’s so much helpful advice out there on raising rabbits that it’s difficult to cover a lot of information on this thread. You can research important topics like: diet, proper housing, behaviour of the specific rabbit breed, grooming maintenance, and care of the kits (baby bunnies). Of course you might already know all or most of this stuff but if you don’t, it’s really helpful to know that kind of information when you raise your bunnies.

I’ve never personally raised Flemish Giants (or rabbits for meat) but one thing to know is that it’s very important for their flooring to not be wire bottoms. Or if it is a wire bottom, definitely give them a place to get off of it since their feet can get sore hocks, especially since they are a MUCH heavier breed than your average rabbit. I learned the hard way and my rabbits were uncomfortable. Thankfully the sores didn’t get infected but it did make them uncomfortable.

But there’s so much helpful advice out there on raising rabbits that it’s difficult to cover a lot of information on this thread. You can research important topics like: diet, proper housing, behaviour of the specific rabbit breed, grooming maintenance, and care of the kits (baby bunnies). Of course you might already know all or most of this stuff but if you don’t, it’s really helpful to know that kind of information when you raise your bunnies.
I've had Rex's growing up, so I know some about rabbits, but trying to get better information on the Flemish Giants.

Back
Top Bottom