Getting two new chicks tomorrow- which breeds should I get?

Noobchick

Songster
8 Years
May 23, 2011
Creedmoor, NC
I have two questions for you all, but need to include some background info first.

I have four 2 week old chicks now- 2 Ameracaunas, a RIR, and a Welsummer. I wanted at least one Dominique chick but the breeder says theyve been delayed again.
sad.png
Im afraid at how hard it will be to integrate chicks that are 1 1/2 months apart. (This is my first time with chickens- Im tryin to keep it as simple as I can.)

I would like two more chicks though. The breeder has these breeds: New Hampshire Red, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Black Jersey Giants, Barred Rocks, and Buff Orpingtons.

1. What have you guys experiences been with these breeds? Im reading a lot of conflicting info online and in my books.
2. How do I go about combining the two groups of chicks? I'll have them in two separate brooders for a little while just to be sure the new two are free of disease and Im going to try to get them as close in age as I can.

Thanks in advance all!

I have Barred Rock and I love them. The girls lay wonderfully and my rooster is a sweetie. I have his son right now too which is 6 weeks old. I hope he is as good as his daddy. Golden laced Wyandottes are beautiful. I dont have any Wyandottes but my neighbor does and she loves them. I did pick out a silver laced chick this year from the feed store, but alas he was a boy and I rehomed him. I have 2 Buff Orpington mixes and they are sweeties. I wanted JG's put my DD had to have 2 Polish so I didnt get to get them. I am maxed out on chickens I have 38 and if I get anymore I'm afraid DH might go talk to a lawyer to have me commited
gig.gif

to answer your first question, GLW's, JG's, BR's, and BO's all have great personalities and are good layers. in particular the wyandottes and the orpingtons. nh reds are not quite as good at laying and thier personalities can be a little more finnicky than most.
if you are getting/got all your chicks from the same breeder, you probably shouldn't worry about disease, i'd just put them together right away (the sooner the better, chicks closer in age and at a young age get along more readily then older chicks farther apart in age) there may be some squabbling over the peck order, but it's best to just let them fight it out, it'll only be worse later if you don't. only interfere if you think one of the chicks is getting hurt. with chicks, fights are not usually severe, but it's always good to keep an eye on them when you integrate new birds in anyway.

Tinychicky: I'm using the same breeder. The four I have have been healthy- not even any pasty butt. (hope i didnt just jinx myself
fl.gif
) Again, trying to keep this first chicken experience as simple as possible so thought it best to use the same breeder for all the chicks (even though another breeder had some gorgeous Black Copper Marans; those will have to wait for another time.)

How far apart can they be in age and still be okay all in the same brooder?

In my opinion SLW and BO..they seem most calm and willing to accepte new things. But talk to others..I do have BO and RIR that are darlings too...Not to mention EE...but like I said my SLW and BO are like the dream boats of romance....But even thought these breeds at first didnt act this way for first sevral weeks and were alof LOL they all differe nt tho..it just is how they r treated. i mean I thot the SLW was going to be hard to trust b'c she had pasty butt for 1st 3 days---now she is 1st one to snuggle one my shoulder and sleep every day. she even runs bigger girls off for the plabe...she is smallest pullet--call her "Lil Bit" She eas for few mins and then flys to my shoulder and sleeps in my hair,,,even after I had to pull poop from her butt....everyday she does this...no matter what...and when I go to put her down she fusses....she is a SLW..never thought I would attach so close to one so small...LOL....I LOVE THEM!!!! SORRY IM CRYING!!!!

Last edited:
i have Ameraucanas, Australorp, Dominiques, silkie, Buff Orpingtons and Wyandottes and they are all great birds, get one your going to be excited to go out and see every day. i will say that my Orpington, Dominiques, and silkie have amazing personalities, i love just sitting and watching them.

I like Wyandottes, we have 3 in a mixed breed flock and never give us any trouble. Pretty, too.

We have had Black Jersey Giants. The hen was bossy and high ranking on the pecking order, but not mean. We gave the Roo to friends because he was so huge - gentle, but too big for some of our smaller hens. He lets their children pick him up and doesn't fight with their other roos.

You can introduce younger birds, especially if there isn't more than a few months difference. We have given them a safe, fenced off area to get aquainted with the older birds through the fence. Give them a few days at this and then introduce with lots of distractions on hand (head of cabbage, millet seed - stuff to keep them busy). Plan to stay nearby for a long time to monitor and break up altercations.

Get whatever you want. You can always sell or give away the ones you don't want.

Tcleg: lol. Thats how I feel about my RIR, named Scarlett. Shes so sweet, snuggles down in my hand and falls asleep as soon as I pick her up. If shes not sleeping in my hand, she just relaxes there. Shes one of two who lets my two year old daughter pet her without any kind of a struggle. The only time shes fiesty is when she sees me take the wire cover off the brroder-- she wants outta there ASAP! Lol. Shes gonna love her coop.

Back
Top Bottom