getting up my chicken courage - on vancouver island, bc.

appleturnover

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 20, 2014
hi, i'm elisa, i'm just outside victoria, bc, and i'm plotting and planning with my children to build a coop and hatch some chickens. we live in a wild place with predators from earth and water and sky, so we have a challenge on our hands. the children homeschool, and we'd really like to incubate eggs...but they are very sad at the thought of becoming attached to roosters, and letting them go/eating them.

they also want to be very hands on - so the run needs to let them in, or, we'll need a way to take a chicken for a supervised walk. i'd like to free range, but a mink, hawk, eagle, raccoon or terrier will have lunch at my place if i do.

we just want half a dozen hens, possibly of various breeds, though wynedotte is the favourite.

so, we are researching coop designs, and asking around if anyone would like our future roosters!

i would love advice, and am off to immerse myself here. i'll be writing about my chicken project on my site, appleturnover.tv.

x elisa

Hi there,
frow.gif
and welcome to BYC!

You might want to check out our coop pages for some ideas on coops and runs. Just to get some ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coops

Great to have you aboard and enjoy BYC!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you. Wyandottes are a great choice-- they're my favorite breed, too!

If you start with older "point of lay," pullets you won't accidentally find a rooster in your midst. If you intend to incubate eggs or buy young chicks you can be certain there will be roosters to deal with. It's a balance of one thing against another. POA breeds will cost more than day old chicks.

If you have popular breeds - you may find it easier to place roosters.

Back
Top Bottom