Gettting ready...???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mrsfoote, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    two of my almost 17 week old pullets started really bawk bawking at me and 2 are sitting in the nest box ....eggs soon???

2. E.G.Glayer

E.G.Glayer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Blanchester OH
    Should be 20 - 24 weeks but can come as early as 16 in some layers although that is not normal in my experience.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Sounds possible! Have they started to do the "submission squat" for you yet? That's a sure sign of scrambled eggs in your near future!

4. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Have they done the squat for you, all of my hens that are now laying began to squat for me and my DH just about the time they started laying. Are combs and wattles red? Mine seemed to suddenly turn red...get a red face before they started laying.

If they are visiting the boxes, it sounds like they are getting there. Our hen Dolly nearly drives you nuts with her urgent pacing and egg song...none of the hens do the cackle when they lay the eggs or a celebration song. [​IMG]

5. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Our little buff brahma did the squat for my husband the two others are starting to kinda do it....my buff brahma her comb and wattles turned alot redder this past week and so are the other two.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by