Gfunk1127's 4x8 coop thread

Easter Red Cedar can have irritating fumes in an enclosed space, but with generous ventilation it's a terrific choice. :)
Oh it is absolutely just going to be outside. And I don't believe it is eastern. The tag on it said Chinese Cedar. Not quite sure if it the same. The smell just isn't as strong as the closet cedar. But it looks as pretty!

A6861069-E827-4963-93CC-255BCD40C03A.jpeg

Here it is! Finished the top this morning. I’m as happy as I look with it.
The nesting box lid will match.

Next I have to throw on the sealant for weather protection.

We built a brooder box over the weekend.
For the lid I know people use wire. I have a left over sheet of plexi that I am thinking of using to keep in heat. I plan on drilling quite a few holes in the farthest 3rd for airflow as well as some holes in the upper walls to encourage it.
BrooderBox1.jpg

I hope this ceramic like heater does the job. I like it better than the red lamp heater I have.

Thoughts?

Also, we are on day 2 of lockdown!

I plan on drilling quite a few holes in the farthest 3rd for airflow as well as some holes in the upper walls to encourage it.

You'll want a lot more ventilation than "a few holes".

Especially here in NC, you don't need to "keep in heat". Our problem is more likely to be overheating.

I have that same plate and I *do* use dual heat with a heat lamp when it's below 50F -- using the lamp to keep the area around the plate above 50F and to keep the water thawed. But once it's over 50F or the chicks are past the new hatchling stage I pull out the lamp. They plate doesn't heat the space, it heats the chicks in contact with it.

Its just as important to have a cool area in the brooder as a warm area and fresh air is critical to birds' delicate respiratory systems. :)

You'll want a lot more ventilation than "a few holes".

Especially here in NC, you don't need to "keep in heat". Our problem is more likely to be overheating.

I have that same plate and I *do* use dual heat with a heat lamp when it's below 50F -- using the lamp to keep the area around the plate above 50F and to keep the water thawed. But once it's over 50F or the chicks are past the new hatchling stage I pull out the lamp. They plate doesn't heat the space, it heats the chicks in contact with it.

Its just as important to have a cool area in the brooder as a warm area and fresh air is critical to birds' delicate respiratory systems. :)
Ok. Perhaps then it is 2/3 plexi and 1/3 wire.
The brooder exists in the garage and I was thinking about the heat or lack there of.
I like the picture you paint with the lamp addition and I will try that.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom