Ghetto coop

Patoot

Songster
9 Years
Aug 20, 2010
So when I got my girls, I wasn't sure if chickens were going to be my thing. I didn't know if they would be too messy, noisy, time consuming, or expensive. To minimize my risk, I decided to get them and see how it went before I went "all out". Well, I'm keeping them for sure. Addict already. Before I got them, I converted a play house into a coop which is actually rather nice from the perspective of a chicken. It's roomy, clean, has a nice roost, etc. However, it's ugly. I should post on the ugly coop thread. Right now everything is temp and I'm trying to figure out how to make it nice. I'll post pics, but in the mean time, I figured you might have some ideas. It's a 2 story play structure. I converted just the bottom level. I suppose I could somehow convert the top too, but I don't know that I need to or how easy that would be anyway. It's a flat roof that was just 2x4's. I put a shower curtain on top with boards laying across to hold it on in case of rain (but we hardly get any). I took an old screen from a window and that's their window held on with bungie cords. Then we made a door with an opening for them to come out and the door is held on with latches in case I want to take it off to get in there. The side opening is covered with a board I can take on and off to work inside easy (change water, add food, clean poop, etc).

If I show you pics, do you think you can help me come up with a prettier and more permanent coop? It's 100% functional and meets their needs already, but I want to make it nice and have it look better too. I was thinking of making the top into a storage area with bins for all their food, shaving, seeds, etc, but I haven't got that far yet.

Thanks.

Bree

Last edited:
People are really good at giving suggestions on this forum. I'm sure you'd get a lot of help, if you post pictures.

A nice coat of paint can help a lot of buildings that have been cobbled together from an assortment of parts. It gives it a more uniform and finished look. This is especially helpful when you are using different ages and types of wood, that are different colors.

I'm not sure what to suggest for the roof, but something solid that won't rot would be great and look more finished. If you could get one of those plastic roofing panels, that would look more finished. I've got that on my chicken tractor. Without pictures, I'm not sure, but if you enclose the top portion for storage, would that be covering the part that is roofed with the plastic and boards, now? If so, maybe the part that is roof, now, will just be a solid floor later. Does that sound right?

After you get the main work done, you can add some cute details, if you want. There are threads for that, too. Good luck!

My thought is that screen won't hold out a racoon. You need hardware cloth eventually! Sounds like you are really trying hard to get it all done.

thumbsup.gif

It was raining when I got home. I take the screen off at night and replace it with that baby gate you see on the side. No critters can get in that way. If you need a better pic, I can take another when it's not raining as much.

65931_coop.jpg

Last edited:
First of all, where are you? This will make a difference in how you adapt your coop. If you are in a Southern State where Winters are mild, all you really need to invest in is some hardware cloth, and more permanent roofing. I would definitely make use of the top section as well. My Girls like to roost as high as they can, so I would cut a hole in the floor of the top section, and install thier roosts up there. Use the bottom section for food, water and nest boxes.

I am in Albuquerque, NM. Mild winters, but the nights are chilly and we do get some snow.

Bree

Back
Top Bottom