GI tract blockage

oldchickenlady

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Cabot, AR
I had a year old RIR hen that I had thought was egg bound. Her abdomen was very swollen and she wasn't eating, causing her to lose weight drastically. I had soaked her in very warm water twice, which she seemed to enjoy very much, but it didn't help. I could not feel an egg close to her vent, so today I decided I had to put her down. Afterwards I did a necropsy and found she had some sort of intestinal blockage. She had in her abdomen a very large mass. There was no grass or grain or pellets in it, it was a tan color and had a firm and dense texture (similar to cooked liver). It was about 3 cups in amount. I broke the mass apart to see if there was any undigested food or anything else in it and there wasn't. Has anyone else ever had an issue like this? I just hated to put her down, but she was not getting any better no matter what I did. Now I know that only surgery could have helped her. I feed my hens layer pellets and let them free range most of the day. On my days off I will throw them a couple of handfuls of scratch or BOSS. I discovered this problem by checking the girls on the roost at night. I will go in and feel their crops and check their body condition. I first noticed her crop would be almost empty at night. I started watching her during the day and noticed she was not as lively as the other girls. Then when I realized her abdomen was swollen, I thought she must be egg bound. Is there some treatment I could have tried?

I have no idea but wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.
hugs.gif

Yes I read that thread, but it was about internal laying. I need to figure out what internal laying actually means before I know if this was what my hen had. I don't think it was as her problem seemed to me to be intestinal and not involving her oviduct or eggs laying. I could be wrong...

I too have a hen that is exhibiting the kind of symptoms you have described. I thought she might have worms so treated the whole flock, though she is the only one acting puny. She seems to have a lot of poop stuck to her bum. Yesterday I cleaned it off and noticed her abdomen was rock hard. I'm thinking it's her intestines maybe? She does eat the oatmeal treats I give them and I see her eating grass seeds etc when they are free ranging. I have thought I may have to put her down too. Like you, I want to figure out what the problem is.

That is how my hen's abdomen was...swollen and hard, she walked funny, was not as active or energetic, went to roost earlier than the other girls, and seemed a little lethargic also. I have pictures of the mass of stuff that came out of her if anyone is interested...

Well...now I have another RIR hen that is having the same symptoms of the hen I had to put down. Her abdomen is swollen and hard, she isn't eating as well, she goes to roost earlier than the rest of the flock, and she is getting skinny. I am wondering if this problem, which seems to be an intestinal blockage, is related to the fact I use layer pellets instead of layer crumbles? When I did the necropsy on the last hen, the mass I found in her abdomen looked digested (as in there were no pellets, grain, or vegetation in it). It was tan colored and had the consistancy of tofu. If I do put this new hen down, I will pay more attention to the anterior aspect of her intestinal tract and try to determine if there is an anatomical reason for the blockage (which I wouldn't think there would be, since she is a year old) or something else to cause this blockage. Any opinions or similar experiences are welcome! Both hens are RIR's.

Oddly enough, I have a hen showing the same symptoms. I thought she was egg bound and had gently probe her vent area. This is day 4 that she has just been standing around all puffed up. I finally today removed a chunk of (get ready) of chicken
sickbyc.gif
from her vent area. That was not pleasant, for either of us, i'm sure! But she seemed to get some relief. I'm just keeping a close eye on her. I'm worried now that bacteria could have started to develop in there, too! I did by accident purchase pellets instead of crumbles, which I didnt think much about, but now I'm wondering how well the hens are digesting the pellets. ??

Back
Top Bottom