giant centipede!!

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
OK so I was out in the run with my 5 week old chicks (including 3 guinea keets ) and the guineas spotted something under the house (which is where the run is next to the house it is a mobile home with galvanized siding for the skirting) I looked and it was a GIANT centipede! it was about 6 to 8 in. long... the guinea keets changed their minds on eating it. My guess is by instinct they new it was to big since they are still babies. I am a little concerned about the chicks now and if it will hurt them. I live in Hill Country in Texas does anyone know or have heard of these things hurting chickens or chicks? YIPES!

Are you sure it was a centipede and not a millipede? And yes, to answer your question, a giant 6-8 inch centipede can easily kill a 5 week old chick. They are terribley aggressive. I'm not sure if one would prey on a chicken, but it wouldn't hesitate to bite. Pedes as big as that can put people in the hosptile, depending on species.

oh no I am sure it's was a centipede..after looking it up it's a Giant Red-headed Centipede, froze me in my tracks:eek: ...basically the same response when I saw a tarantula hanging out on my back porch ...I am still new to these creatures!! I am from SE Texas where the worst bug problems entail big tree roaches and mosquitoes ....used to hate them but at least roaches don't bite! I freaked out the first time I saw my chickens eat and in the process get stung by a scorpion (she was fine) I think after reading about them it will most likely stay under th house where it is dark and damp ( I hope!)
fl.gif
hopefully the guineas will leave it alone until they are big enough to take on something that size! I wish there was a way to prevent it from getting into the run but I don't think there is anything safe I could put in there to keep it out!
ep.gif

Aw geez...I think your best bet would be to pray a lot if you're the praying kind. At least the birds had sense to back off, so that's good.

Yeah, whatever you do, do not mess around with centipedes and make sure your kids don't if you have them. They are venomous, aggressive, and their stings are fatal to small animals and can be dangerous to small children and anybody with bee sting allergies. Otherwise, they just hurt like all get out if they getcha.

I am hoping they are going to be ok...or at least it moves on... I am just worried now with all the oak leaves on the ground I might come across it on the ground!!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom