Giant Cochin, Yolk umbilical attached

ScottsChickenz!

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
West Burlington
My cochin was born this morning at 7am, I put him in the brooder with the others. They started pecking at his attached yolk sack because of the blood. Can this be removed? I thought it would have dried by now. I have him in the brooder but separated by wire mesh. What should i do?

The first Cochin born is lethargic and keeps his eyes closed. I have given him diluted poly-visol and water periodically. Neither of these two are pecking for food.

Last edited:
48760_p3120041.jpg

well, I have six that hatched yesterday morning, and they really haven't pecked much at their food either.

I'm sorry about your cochin... I had a chick hatch similar to that last year and it did heal. I kept putting antibiotic cream on it, then switched to emu oil. I put it on a qtip first, then smothered the protrusion. even with all that it dried up quickly and eventually fell off. Just keep an eye on it and separate the chick if you need to until it dries up.

Good luck!
fl.gif

It should either absorb or dry up and fall off...

I had some chicks hatch this a.m. too and none of them are interested in food yet, so I wouldn't be worried about that. Is the chick walking/scooting, chirping, with periods of alertness and sleepiness? Chicks really don't do much the first day, they're usually pretty tired.

This is Cochin 2, he's doing better, waking, sleeping and just started to peck the ground this evening. His sack is finally starting to dry out.

Cochin 1 is still weak and doesn't open his eyes much. I'm crossing my fingers for him and trying to keep giving him water and food.

The 3 Ameraucanas are doing great, they run around, are very curious, eat and drink on their own and are already looking larger and fluffier.

Back
Top Bottom