gigantic crop - don 't think it's impacted

Lynn WA

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 17, 2008
Woodland, WA
My 5 moth old rooster has a HUGE crop, it sways when he walks. He has to pick his feet up so high to keep his balance when he walks - his feet hit his crop and all the feathers are worn away.

About 2 months ago, we did surgery to clean out his impacted crop, kept him in solitary confinement for a week, gave him soft foods - all the stuff I've read that you should do. He turned out great - full of energy. Now he can't keep up with his buddies because he can't move very fast. The chickens free range for about an hour or two every afternoon. Yesterday, I watched him take a green bean off a bush and eat the bean whole, like spaghetti - now that can't be good for him! (I couldn't get to him fast enough to get it away, but then, who knows how often he does that when I'm not around!)

We put him in confinement again last night, but don't want to stress him with surgery again. Besides, his crop is soft and he's pooping, so something must be getting to his gizzard. My question is...can I put him on a crash diet? He certainly has enough in him to keep him nourished. Should I give him soft food for a while? Is this a genetic thing and he just can't pass food properly? He's a beautiful boy and it makes me sad to see him like this.

Thanks for any help you can give me!
Lynn

Wouldnt it be kind of hard for you to give him alone "special food? If it wont be hard for you then I would try crumbles. Any food that is already broken down a bit. I dont really know if that would help you or not. I was going to say cull him because there seems to be something wrong if that has happened twice....dont you think?
hu.gif

We have him in the brooder, so giving him special food is not a problem. We thought of culling him, but I just can't bring myself to do that yet. I'd like to try to help him first, but I'll reconsider if the general consensus is that there's no hope.

There was an article recently in Practical Poultry that dealt with impacted and pendulous crops. The photo looked like what you're describing. They put a couple drops of cod liver oil down the throat, then inverted the bird for massage, not completely upside down, but at a steep angle downward. The following pictures were of this nasty fluid running from the birds open mouth. They appeared to have emptied that crop quite completely.

Quote:
It's worth a try. We did that before surgery the last time, but nothing came out. It was really packed solid then - now it's soft so maybe it will work.
Thanks!

Thank you for the suggestion. I printed it and will give it a try. I hope it works...and I thought I didn't want any roosters! Now here I am trying to save the poor guy!

Usually with recurring crop problems, there is either an underlying problem (genetic, tumor?) or problem with their intestinal tract which is effecting the function of their crop. What are you feeding your chickens?

They get layer feed, and a bit of scratch every now and then as a treat. The chickens were free range until my vegetable garden was destroyed; for about a month now I have only let them out to free range for about an hour just before dusk.

Back
Top Bottom